Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Firstly, apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I've been trawling round a bit and can't find a definite answer.
I have 2 turbos for my R33 GTST series 1...
1 - the original stock R33 GTST (removed)
2 - an R34 GTT NEO turbo with steel internals (fitted)

my question is what is it exactly that is ceramic on the stock turbo?
some people say its the turbine wheel, others the cmpressor wheel and other people say it's the bearing housing ???

I wanted to check whether the stock turbo that is off the car is in fact stock? or if it has been modified?

many thanks

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
Induction is via a Single ball bearing turbo charger which comes onto boost fast with its ceramic exhaust wheel. :)

·
Seasoned Member
9,069 Posts
Turbine wheel is ceramic, roller bearing is ceramic, compressor wheel is nylon or alloy depending on which Spec turbo it is.

I have a turbo here that I'm going to strip down at some point so will actually post details up confirming exactly, what's what.

·
Super Moderator
9,062 Posts
I thought the std turbo was plain bearing and not ball bearing, it wouldn't be roller bearing anyway, and i don't know of any ceramic turbo bearings.

·
Seasoned Member
9,069 Posts
You mean journal bearing, as in plain? Roller bearings are different to ball bearings.

I had acquired a list of the actual specs of the Nissan fitted Hitachi Turbo and it was listed as a ceramic roller bearing unit, but cannot for the life of me find it anywhere on my old PC. Hence, why I got hold of another turbo off here to have a play with and confirm for good with other owners!

Unless I read it wrong and that was ceramic turbo using ball bearing etc. I really need to crack this thing open and have a look at the insides.

·
Seasoned Member
9,069 Posts
Nah that's not where I got the info from..... but I did what I said in the thread, I've got me another turbo, just need to strip it and check it out :)

·
Super Moderator
9,062 Posts
You mean journal bearing, as in plain? Roller bearings are different to ball bearings.

I had acquired a list of the actual specs of the Nissan fitted Hitachi Turbo and it was listed as a ceramic roller bearing unit, but cannot for the life of me find it anywhere on my old PC. Hence, why I got hold of another turbo off here to have a play with and confirm for good with other owners!

Unless I read it wrong and that was ceramic turbo using ball bearing etc. I really need to crack this thing open and have a look at the insides.

I think maybe where your getting confused is the description "listed as a ceramic roller bearing unit"
it basically means that the exhaust turbine is ceramic,, however although i have seen some roller bearing turbos, they are no often used for several reasons, they are expensive, they are perhaps equal to plain "journal" bearings.

Ball races are primarily used in low friction, low load, and high speed application's, and are well suited to turbochargers, as the low contact area are beneficial in quick spool up (low friction)
Whereas roller bearing's as primarily suited to high load, low speed application's due to there higher surface contact area, which obviously doesn't promote very low friction.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys .... very helpful.
the old stock turbo still has the exhaust elbow attached, so I will remove it and have a look.
The one with steel internals (that's currently on the car) is really laggy ... so I'm trying to work out my options.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
I thought the std turbo was plain bearing and not ball bearing, it wouldn't be roller bearing anyway, and i don't know of any ceramic turbo bearings.
you aint read any of a certain memebrs thread then as he has milled out his turbo to fit ceramic bearings

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys .... very helpful.
the old stock turbo still has the exhaust elbow attached, so I will remove it and have a look.
The one with steel internals (that's currently on the car) is really laggy ... so I'm trying to work out my options.
What boost level are you running?

What boost control are you using?

·
Super Moderator
9,062 Posts
you aint read any of a certain memebrs thread then as he has milled out his turbo to fit ceramic bearings
Obviously not! i presume that they are ceramic ball races, and not rollers then?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts