Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna change my rear speakers should have done it ages ago, got some dodgy old tat in there at the moment. Just want to know what people are running.

I'm guessing that the mounting depth is the one thing that is going to be a problem, although I have got the tape measure out to check yet.

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
My GTS had 15!!watt dual cone kenwood 6" MOE in the front doors and rear shelf,replaced them couple of months ago with 120watt dual cone sony's,straight replacement..good sound,£44.95 pair.
My GTS.t has 120watt triple cone 6" kenwoods in the front doors,80watt 5" pioneer triple cones in the rear door cards,nothing in the rear shelf except a pair of 4" porting holes,and a pair of 12"subs in custom boxes in the boot-which will be completed in the next couple of weeks,nice,as they are clear acrylic...very good sound and drop.
Take a look at the thread in this section called "size matters".
Good luck.....!

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much space is there behind the rear cards, never considered that. I presume that your GTS-T is a 2 door ? I'm currently running a ported box in the boot, interesting idea porting the rear shelf

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Yep,it is a 2-door....but rears will fit(just).
There is not a lot of room,but rear of the front seatbelts is a lightening hole,so if you are careful with the measuring,the rear of the speaker will go in the hole.Mine are round 5",but 6" rounds will fit..if the magnets are big,then you may end up filing a bit out of the lightening hole.I have seen 6x9's in 2-door Skyline rear cards,but they need to be very shallow.
The porting idea works brilliantly,because the skyline has a metal bulkhead behind the rear seat,all but solid.Under the parcel shelf you will find 2 egg shaped holes in the upper bulkhead..cut your port holes to line up,Re-carpet the shelf blind or stick back original..no-one will know the holes are there,and the bass from the subs comes through A1.Rear speakers are really just mid-range fill-ins,hence a third less power than fronts....Amp in the boot,changer under seat...and Roberts your Fathers brother.!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
if you take the rear quarters out, there is loada room.

Taking the rear parcell shelf out is about as easy as trying to come in the house quietly after a big night out and trying not to wake the missus and some. I managed to take mine out and put some infinity 6" mids and tweeters. If I have to take it out again, I will mainly be using a hammer (to remove the rear window), an axe (to remove plastic inserts) a chainsaw to cut the corners off the parcel shelf to help it slide out, and a hammer (for those annoying clips holding the shelf in that are impossible to find)

Take it to a shop and pay them is my advice !!!

Moff

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Its not so bad once you have removed the rear seats and got brave with a big flat lever under it.

·
has a large tool
1,467 Posts
mines not an R33 but i got R34 with 7x10 inch kenwood 200w speakers on the back shelf(just) sounds great though

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
33 rear shelf is easy to take out,second time you do it...!
1/remove rear seat
2/lift forward panel edge in the centre
3/release 3 plastic press clips on shelf underside,centre
4/pull shelf forward gently 1" releasing vent clips on rear edge
5/push centre up,releasing rear corners(carefully,or hardboard will break)
6/lift out shelf

Or smash rear window and get jiggy with a crowbar....?

·
SOC Logo Champ
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to take all the rear seats out to hook up the amp and multi changer in the boot and took the parcel shelf partly out to re wire the rears anyway.

Really want to know what type and brand everyone had or recommended.

Rice boy, be interested to see plans or pics of the custom inclosure, are you using the holes in the parcel shelf as the ported holes for the box ?

·
Banned
5,715 Posts
Basically had a pair of sealed un-ported sub enclosures made by Pulse audio in Horley,so with the boot closed,it becomes the sub "box"..sealed all but the two 4" port holes through into the car.
Will post pics when install finished,pays to get the enclosure volumes correct...they had my car for a couple of days making the molds,etc.I put it loosely in for a trial run,sounds good-oh.....!!!!.Running off a 600w 4 channel bridged amp.

·
Registered
953 Posts
none they wiegh too much

na only kidding sounds nice

·
Registered
475 Posts
ring me if you like and i will advise you
as i ahve had a 33gts and a 34 gtt i know all about the audio side of things
ian @ voodoo 020 8337 9666

·
Registered
95 Posts
fitted pioneer ts1775's front and rear they fit directly into where the old ones came out, cost £90.00 a pair but cracking sound good bass response with or without sub, 10yr old bass tube in boot at moment (until custom build) and it still puts out a better sound than some other subs about can make the car rattle (some sound proofing will be needed eventually) the head unit is the flagship model from kenwood, has all the normal features of a head unit but the cd unit also acts as built in dvd player, the only prob with this unit is it wont play cdr's (BUGGER) but as a system it is a great sound

1 - 14 of 14 Posts