Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 GTS 25T, when I bought it it already had a full HKS Super Dragger Exhaust, and a set of 17" AVS Model 7 Wheels (235f x 255r) but I beleive every thing else is original.
Ive read that in some cases after market air filters/induction kits can reduce BHP rather than increase it on turbo cars because the air they take in is heated from the engine bay. Which induction kit is best? And how much do they cost?? or should I do something else or just leave well alone....

So many questions and so much to learn!

Attachments

E

·
0 Posts
De-cat pipe,exhaust & front pipes are a must have. Does the Dragger come from the cat back?
Air filter is down to personal choice. They all do the same thing. I`ve fitted a cold air feed from under the car to well er feed cold air to the filter. Because as you say they suck in the hot air from the engine bay. This must be better than a direct replacement panel in the original box.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I beleive that the pipe is already de-catted, how do i check this or is that a stupid question?

The exhaust is huge (approx 4inch) from the manifold to the tail pipe that much I do know. There are no other boxes along the pipe other than the rear box.

E

·
0 Posts
Have a look underneath & somewhere up near the gearbox will either be one of these.

Catalytic converter...

Attachments

E

·
0 Posts
Or something like this

De-cat pipe........

Might be incorporated in the new system you`ve already got

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will double check tomorrow thanks, I dont recall seeing one but now i know what to look for.....
So what air filter did you choose and if you dont mind me asking how much was it. The thing i want most of all is a blow off valve, I just love the sound of them, are there any pit falls that you know of? And of course which bloody one do I get? there are quite a few on the market.

E

·
0 Posts
My air filter was on the car when i got it. Its a HKS thing. There was a thread on here about filters a while ago. I`ll try & dig it up.

Haven`t got a BOV so cant really comment,although i`ve heard they can make the engine cut out at tickover.

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
At the moment when on the road the temperature at my pod filter is say between 7 and 12 degrees, but when I slow down or stop the temperature rises really quickly due to heat soak from the engine. Even on cold nights it rises to +50°c at standtill.

I've yet to get an aftermarket panel filter for my airbox but these I understand reduce heatsoak somewhat yet still flow plenty of air (and reduce induction noise which i've kinda gone off now).

I've got the HKS ssqv blow off valve but these can induce stalling when decellerating, luckily mines been fine. Not cheap new tho.

Anyway, you could try a panel filter and some iridium plugs to start with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot Eddie & Moschops, you have been most helpful, i will let you know how I get on.

Does having an uprated air filter or bov affect the fuel economy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked out your link eddie. I'm trying to figure it all out.

By the way were you at Japfest Santa pod a few weeks ago?

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
BrickTop, just to let you know I've got a bog standard 25t engine,
have fitted an HKS panel filter to the original air box---works well, and I've just fitted an HKS ssq BOV......yes a lovely noise but the engine now stalls occasionally when at low revs and just tickling the throttle. Apparently HKS do an electronic gizmo to stop it, will have to investigate that. Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks beachboy I will check that out...

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Floyd

Did you block up the large pipe that used to go onto the old BOV?

I stuck a bit of brush stale in mine after I fitted my SSQ and I have had no stalling or rough tickover issues.

N

·
0 Posts
Bricktop , dont bother with a aftermarket bov , they are nothing but trouble , as for filter , keep the stock box and get a good replacement panel , trust is good , about 30 quid .

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Aha, yes I did blank it off and checked for leaks using snoop. nothing. With the screw thread on the back of the valve (locknutted) is this for adjusting the amount it vents or what?
If it is an adjuster does anyone have any info on it/seting it up?

Don't forget BrickTop anything you import from Japan (second hand items will attract vat and import duty. Cost me £30 to get my HKS Bov in from japan, Mind you, only cost me £95 inc shipping.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks NiteskyR I was beginning to think that it all sounds like "asking for trouble". The air filter for original box sounds like a good practicle and easy upgrade, and for £30 my wallet likes it too.

After all they are pretty quick already. My previous cars an Alfa 33s P4 had 140hp, then a Lancia Intergrale 210hp(which I still have) and now my R33 with I beleive is at least 250hp, I should be contented for a while at least.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahapartridge,

When you say the old bov, are you saying there is one on an original engine fitted as standard?

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Yes, the bov on the RB25det engine is a recirculating type, so when you back off the throttle after being on boost it vents the manifold pressure back to the intake system. I'm surprised you havn't heard it hiss when you drive it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts