Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've always had a soft spot for these cars and after being taken out in a turbo'd version I must say I'm impressed.

Being only 19 I'm sure I'd have to opt for a NA engined model but I don't want the high cost of fuel and insurance if it can't make me smile.

My budget would defiantly be under £3,000 and more realistically probably around the £2,000 mark.

- For this am I better looking for a nice R32 or a newer R33?
- Whats more suitable for my needs?
- Whats the main difference between the R32 and R33 2.0 NA versions?
- Would you say I'm better off waiting a few years or finding a substitute e.g. 200SX (S14/S15) etc?

Btw, forum looks nice and organised with many active members, I look forward to getting to know some of you better!

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Wait till your 20-21, save up some money then buy a turbo model mate.

I bought mine when i was 20 (R33 GTST) and glad i waited. Im 24 now and once mine is sold will be moving onto a R32 GTR.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I thought that would be a sensible option and prices (should hopefully) dropped a little by then..

Just out of curiosity what power does the 32 and 33 2.0 engine produce?

2,005 Posts
to be honest at 19 you will struggle to get insured on any skyline never mind a turbo'd one most companys will want you to be 25 or older partly because of power and being mainly imports im not saying you wont get insured but any company that touches you will want lots and lots of cash. 2 grand tbh wont buy you much. better off waiting a few years get some no claims behind you more experience save some money and buy the best one you can afford.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the advice Stu.

I guess I could just keep an eye out (as I have Cash lying about) and buy one to do up for a year until I'm 20..

Also gives a me a fair bit of time to figure out everything about the car.

Surely in the space of a year a fairly good car might pop up around my budget, I was gutted to miss this if I'm honest!

Clicky

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heh won't be able to get the sort of money you'd be wanting!

I just read on another forum that all the skyline models are the same to insure regardless of whether there a 2.0 NA or a 2.6 Turbo.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Wait till your 20-21, save up some money then buy a turbo model mate.

I bought mine when i was 20 (R33 GTST) and glad i waited. Im 24 now and once mine is sold will be moving onto a R32 GTR.
+1 imo wait a few years m8, buy something all show no go for a few years and cruise about in that, then when you hit 22/25 think about getting a skyliner

i have been looking to buy since 19 like yourself and only just bought one @ 23 (picking her up tomorrow), its a 33 with mods + *cough* 350 listed as BHP to insurers and thats setting me back 2k a year with 3 years no claims, no claims/convictions and a clean licence with no points with it stored in garage overnight and only 10k miles per year

most places wouldnt even touch me despite the above purely because im <25 :(

wait it out m8, otherwise youl get an N/A liner, pay silly money for her and wonder what all the fuss is about

·
Seasoned Member
1,735 Posts
Im 23 and had mine when I was 22 insurance is the main price you have to look at, if you do get one they aren't cheap but you'll get whats known as the Skyline Smile and it's addictive, I took mine round Oulton Park yesterday and enjoyed every second of it.

Ive a R33 GTST by the way.

Also welcome to the forum mate.

Andy

2,005 Posts
oh btw if you do get one make sure you get a proper one...............GTR all the way. you get blown twice :) (joking). all seriousness if you can afford one and afford to run it insure it etc then get one now like koh said petrol wont get any cheaper. good luck.

·
DK Wannabe
168 Posts
you could always use the 3rd party extention trick if you really wanted.. only flaw is you'll get absolutly nothing if you crash! Im a 18 year old skyline owner.. i am now going to wait for use guys to rip me apart! lol

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Heh won't be able to get the sort of money you'd be wanting!

I just read on another forum that all the skyline models are the same to insure regardless of whether there a 2.0 NA or a 2.6 Turbo.
would of cost me double insurance from what i pay on my gtst to insure a GTR, i think someones lying to you :spank:

if you really love skylines i cant imagine a NA model being that expensive to insure but the thing is in 2 years time your going to want a turbo and you might have used your £3000 on buying a non turbo and then cant afford a gtst/gtr if you get me?

good luck on insurance quotes though :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Young and you want a performance car. It's a terrible postion to be in, I've been there. But I just had to accept the high cost of insurance when I was younger.

I would say, go for it. Get a non turbo, live off cornflakes n beans on toast. It'll be worth it.

·
is now very happy with 400+ BHP
2,903 Posts
Last time i asked for a quote for a standard R34 GTR on my current insurance,
I was astounded at the price difference.
I actually asked the question a further 3 times to be certain.
WAS ONLY AN EXTRA £80 - £100!!!

Just wish i had 34 GTR funds :(

A modified 32 or 33 GTR isnt a problem,i just love my 34 GTT.

Hope you make the right decision for yourself and that you get sorted out mate.:D

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
If your worried about money now then it might not be the right car for you just yet. It costs abit of money to keep it maintained and this is minus insurance and petrol.

Just remember if your after a Skyline Turbo then to have atleast a grand stashed away just incase :)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Simple answer wait

Now the reason and my view

Your want a turbo

Your budget probably won't get you much and the insurance WILL be a killer because of your age (no offence)

You mention cost of fuel too. If you want a car like this and your worried about the cost of running it its not the car for you, and a turbo one will need even more tlc

The cars getting old now and things are starting to need to be replaced you might be lucky and get one with most of the bits done already. But just a rough quick run down.

Coils 200- 250
Afm 50 - 100
Manifold studs and labour (if you can find a garage to do them) 120 for parts. i was quoted 800 for labour
Spark plugs 45
Cam belt and labour 250
Oil 35
4 wheel alignment 45
Tyres (your go through them pretty quick unless your miss daisy) stock 16s. Dunlops sp sports 6000 160 for 2

And that's before you start to mod it your at least want to turn the boost up and get the breathing sorted, this increases fuel consumption although you can find ones out there with these mods done however I would be looking for stock personally.

Most of this is worst case but that smile you get when they work is priceless.

Ps who said skyliner!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.