Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanna try & do a comparison.
Normal driving around & my temp gauge is pretty much bang in the middle all the time but just lately ive noticed that when i drive it hard the temp goes right up & i mean right up.
I know the hot weather will have an effect but i think its more than that.
Is everyone else getting hotter or is it just me?
Also what sort of temps do people see on track days?

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
up at LLandow Robopope mentioned that its not unusual to for the rad to get a bit blocked up on r33gtst, this might be your prob, I think he said a new rad was the cure and it wasnt expensive.

(on my r32 the temp doesnt move much even after a thrashing)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Eddie,
Alex is right, mine did start to do that and over time got worse and worse, ended up not being able to go over 70mph without overheating. One new rad and a sneaky 62 degree Nismo stat and all is much better. The real bonus is the engine now runs cooler than the stock 87 degree stat would let it before which helps inlet temps amongst other things. :D

Temperature wise mine goes up very little even when severely tweaked round Llandow (Oil temp is a different matter completely, thats next on the list with everythig else :( )

Paul

·
Hello, little lady!
556 Posts
I can thrash the arse off my gts-t and the guage never goes over just below halfway.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. New rad idea sounds like it might work. I might try draining the system & flushing it through 1st & seeing if that does any good before getting a new 1.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ps,Robopope my problem sounds exactly like you describe. Ive noticed that if i sit behind a car holding it in 4th or sometimes 3rd on the A1 waiting to go overtake the temp goes nuts & when i get past,slow down a bit it levels off again.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Yep, and you 'll find you can get rid of more heat by having the heating on 28 than on 32 will full fan too :D How long does yours take to drop back to normal... mine got worse and worse and took longer and longer

Do you find your a little short on water too... it will expand out through the header tank too (well did with mine)

Paul

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine is always bang on half way, thrashing it or even in traffic it barely moves and i found out the other day that it only has water in it, no anti freeze!! :eek: Better sort that I guess...! :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its taking about 1 & 1/2 miles of off turbo driving to get the temp back down now. I noticed i was short on water a couple of days ago. Saw the temp rise & thought i better check everything. Thats when i got my wires crossed with the air conditioning thing.

Skip mine used to be good too. Never went above the half way mark. Might be a good idea for you to flush it while its good & maybe it`ll stay that way. Ive put some rad flush in mine today. Gonna run it for a week & do it again.

Anybody heard of or tried something called water wetter?

Skip i`ll have a look at the rads in a minute. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am waiting for the cambelt to be changed so I can have it all done in one go, might as well, thankfully its nice weather at the moment so I dont need to worry about anti freeze quite so much...

Water Wetter is an American product that runs cooler than water, its really popular in the drag racing circles... good stuff apparently...

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
With my oil cooler I am running ( today is a warm day) 83 ish normal driving.. the cooler has a thermostat switch set to 87..

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ive seen an ad for this water wetter in a mag somewhere. Might have been a demon tweeks catalogue. Its being sold (i think) as an aditive & its supposed to lower coolant temp quite dramatically.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Water Wetter

Put the Millers stuff in mine earlier this year and thiers not 1 degree of difference to the water temp. according to the readout on the power FC. 80 on cruise, backed off when it got to 97 on track
:rolleyes:

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
mine runs 72 degrees on the fc 77 is the highest i've seen....i've heard rumours that such and such parts methanol and such and such parts water is the think to add to the cooling system but wouldn't want to try it with out knowing for sure

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
I put water wetter in mine and it runs a fraction cooler, so probably not much of a gain/cost job there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts