Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so before anyone says 'sell it and buy a Skyline' - not an option! I'm driving around in a well loved Stagea with some basic mods, and I'm trying to plan my next few moves. At the moment the standard RB25DET is mildly pumped with an HKS induction, de-cat pipe, stainless back section with the ubiquitous 'jap box', HKS plugs and a Turbosmart eBoost2 controller. Like most Stageas it's an Auto and is currently running below 1 bar at maximum boost (to keep those temps down) and making around 260 bhp. I'm thinking my next mod has to be a front mount intercooler to replace the standard unit - giving me lower charge temps and leaving me room for a little more push from the turbo. Should I be considering anything else at this point? Maybe the down pipe or turbo pipes? As always budget is a major consideration - let me know what you think.:cheers:

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stagea :)

Down pipe would be a good move along with the FMIC Kit. (we can supply a stagea pacific kit) Then a ECU re-map would bump the power up a little.

After that you`ll be looking at Turbo, Injectors and AFM just like you would on a R33 GTS/GTT.

Hope this helps

Richard

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks peeps - I'd be interested to know more about the Stagea front mount and the down pipe you can supply - how much? - any pics? Also - what is the main difference between the engine bay in a Stagea with an RB25 - and a GTS-T? Just the mounting positions due to slightly different front end or is there more to it than that? I'd like to dress it up a bit with some silicone hoses for example - but haven't looked into it for fear of the layout being too different from the GTS-T. About the re-map - I guess I'd need to get a specific unit for the Stagea? ...a bit thick with the technical stuff - sorry!:gay:

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
I think your next mod should be brakes - Stagea brakes are pretty crap - the rear calipers are smaller than a twix bar and they are a heavy car . Gtr calipers and discs will fit even gold brembos from a r34 ( if anyones got any for sale at a reasonable price pm me please) But you do need to have larger wheels with enough space (for clearance particually on the front )
Also the suspension is very very soft and a great improvement it handling can be gained there,
I am sure the intercooler will fit although std the pipes from a gts will need changing. Space should be ok the rs260 had a front mounted intercooler so there definately is space.
Anyway good luck with the mods the more stageas the better.:dogpile:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RS - yep you're probably right there - I've been looking at the grooved discs by DBA through Wallace Performance - but a full set of GTR gear might be the way to go. I've got 18" inovites on so there is plenty of room (makes the rear brakes look even smaller!) What suspention mods have you got - coil overs or just springs? Tein do some dedicated Super Wagon units for the Stagea but they're not cheap.

·
359 Posts
Re wheels/brakes
18" wheels are obviously big enough but check the gap between spokes and hub as well as std offset stagea wheels wont give enough space for much bigger calipers
Re my wings - yes thet are lightweight flared MASA wings for exactly that reason as they allow much larger wheels offset (think thats the right way round) the car has been lowered with RSR springs all round and has adjustable suspension speciifcally for the stagea but I dont think its tein.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As said before.....Front mount,injectors, turbo's and.....a manual gearbox LOL

Basically the route you would follow with any turbo'd skyline TBH.

TT

·
359 Posts
tarmac terror said:
As said before.....Front mount,injectors, turbo's and.....a manual gearbox LOL

Basically the route you would follow with any turbo'd skyline TBH.

TT
skyline yes but all pre 98 single turbo stageas are autos as std. The manual conversion is lots of work (need a different ecu and loom . special stagea pedal box etc) anyone contemplating it would use a rb26 engine as well because it is hardly any more work and will drop straight into any rs four.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
now i know this an old thread (ish0 but read the comments with interest as once the manual stagea becomes availabe for inport in 2008 its on the shopping list.
one probelm is the front end..... personal opinion only buts its just a little dull?
how much work would there be in swapping out parts to fit an r33 type fron end?
does the engine bay need extensive restructure work?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi mate - don't know about a 33 front but the r34 front swap is common (in Japan anyway), Masa motorsport do all the parts for a swap - but it is expensive - new wings, bonnet, front bar, grill and lights and then some hefty labour. I reckon a 33 front would look good - never seen one done. Apart from the obvious bits I understand that the Stagea shares more in common with an R34 than a 33 anyway hence the model number WGNC34, but I don't see why a 33 would be any harder and should look cool. I might have a new photoshop project there :yum:.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
cheers guys, i know it might be seen as a backward step puting an "old" front end on a newer car, but if it aint been done much before then all the more reason to try in my book. this is obviouslt gonna take alot or research and digging around so any info gratefully received

teeny plug for our northeast rr day.. perhaps one of you knows of someone witha stagea that is due for power test on a 4wheel drive rolling road?

would be cool to se that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts