Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get insurance quotes for the GTS I'm getting soon. Several insurance companies have been happy with the car and the mods until I mention the dump valve, then they don't want to know.

What's so bad about a dump valve that several companies won't touch anything that's got one even though they're happy with exhausts, inductions kits etc ?

Seems strange to me as they don't really increase performance much, just make the car more responsive.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Maybe because they probably dont know what it is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think it's that cos as soon as I've mentioned the dump valve they've said straight away that they can't insure any car that has one.

Have had some fun with some other companies though trying to explain to them what dump valves/turbo timers etc are. Doesn't really fill you with confidence does it ?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried them but they were way off the mark.

I've managed to get some decent quotes elsewhere - I was just wondering why some insurers hate dump valves so much.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Probably because dump valves draw some much attention to the car. Makes it a target.

Did Adrian Flux quote you??? The Skyline Owners Club members get up to 20% discount from adrian flux ;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, tried Adrian Flux. They wouldn't give me a discount for the owner's club due to the insurer I was with.

So they're not getting my business.

Best so far is Keith Michaels.

Some insurers don't seem to like me cos I haven't had such a powerful car before, though I have had a modified triumph stag and currently have 2 motorbikes.

Seems it'll be a lot cheaper next year with a years experience (best I've had so far is £780 if I'd owned it for a year - not bad for a GTS25T with a few mods).

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
to be honest its a little confusing now i am at home and thinking abouut this, all our cars have a dump value anyhow ?

The difference is your after market one is a non recirculatory one.

In other words it goes whoosh instead of quiet. I wouldnt even tell them about the Dump Valve not that I would have one.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
agreed

It doesn't actually increase the power output of the engine, and doesn't visually change the exterior of the car. I probably wouldn't mention it myself, but that's me :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts