Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wheels need a refurb, and wanting to have a go myself, can anyone suggest the best way to start? Some of the wheels have quite big scrapes on does this make a big difference? Cheers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ive never done it but I would suggest filling the big scrapes with something like E-metal, and sanding down before priming. If the scrapes ar not deep maybe a little catalloy or something similar would do.

G

·
Patience is a virtue when you do your wheels.

Get some decent sandpaper and if you wanna do a great job take it down to bare metal. Use some etch primer, masking off the tyre etc, and then use either the Halfrauds Primer, then Plasticote paint or alloy wheel paint.

Lots of coats of glossy lacquer and they will look brand new.

If you are not particulary good at this type of thing (and the damage is not that bad) you could just get each corner done by a pro for around £60. To be honest, I would rather pay than have to do it all over again.....rubbing mine down was a serious pain in the ass.... :)

Choose wisely, looking back I wish I had paid for the rears to be done one month and the fronts the following month.... :) :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
D I Y Wheel refurb

I cleaned up my wheels a few months back, I used a 4 inch grinder and 2
"DRONCO" stainless steel polishing flap discs , I used the medium grade
one to take a way the kerbing marks and the fine to clean them up,
the discs are like a 3M scourer on a flap disc. the fine disc is also ideal
for removing the old laquer. to finish off i used autoglym metal polish.
The wheels were a mess when i bought the car,2 off them were really
ugly, now only i can tell which wheels were the bad ones.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I paid £50 per alloy to have it refurbed and spray painted. Seems like a great deal considering it took a professional a full day to do all 4, but then, they were not in a terrible state.

When prices are similar to this, why not get a professional to do it, rather than buy the materials and then 'have a go' at doing it yourself

·
Diesel Powered RB25
5,954 Posts
mate i agree pay once to have it done professionally, rather than payout money for materials and stuff, Then spend a few hours on it to realise u really don't know wat ur doin, An have a pro then charge u extra to fix ur mistakes bit the bullet and pay the man trust me it'll look ten times better!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.