Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered where everyone got their skylines from as I am on the hunt just now and am weighing up private purchase v dealer v importer etc etc

If anyone has any recommendations I'd be glad to hear them.

P.s. appologies if this is in the wrong section or a repost. Please feel free to brand me with large pokey stick .............................

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
i bought mine from on this forum

the good thing about buying from here is we are all enthusiasts and care about the skyline, plus you can check through the sellers threads to see if they have had any problems with the car. i know you won't get a guarantee but at least you will have a bit of the cars history and any problems may have been sorted

·
Registered
359 Posts
I bought mine from a dealer who had just imported it, I did have a couple of problems with the car but they stumped up the cash to pay for the repairs which you wouldn't get from a private sale and it saved my over £300. So there is some advantage to buying from a dealer, although not all might be so helpfull! :sly:

·
Registered
766 Posts
i bought mine from on this forum

the good thing about buying from here is we are all enthusiasts and care about the skyline, plus you can check through the sellers threads to see if they have had any problems with the car. i know you won't get a guarantee but at least you will have a bit of the cars history and any problems may have been sorted
DITTO
:D

·
I'm bringing sexy back
962 Posts
USS Tokyo auction hall through Bonsai. It's a good feeling being able to pick the colour, spec modified or not. Almost like buying a brand new car, it was also at a steal of a price

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i bought mine from timo on this forum and it's been the best car ever .... only just broke the manifold gasket and other than that just general things like bushes and such.

warrantees aren't generally worth the paper they're printed on from my experience .... buy off the forum!

damn it's nice to have mine back

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bought mine privately through autotrader from a guy who had imported it himself through an agent. He'd really done all the hard work for me, registering it over here etc.

I just had to spend a good half an hour going through all the reciepts and service details and AA report he'd had got, just like buying any other car.

But i'd echo that buying one off someone from this forum would be an excellent idea, although I specifically wanted an unmoddified stock one and I dont think there's many of those around here!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'm looking for something fairly standardish, would be nice if it had a few things uprated but nothing too nuts and it would leave me with nothing to do myself lol

·
Registered
962 Posts
Bought mine off Ebay!!

Same as pretty much everything I buy. Well, ebay and the Moff shop!

Bit risky, I just bid on a whim and won! Got a very good price and no probs so far so it has worked out well. Mine was completely stock though. I'd be a lot more wary buying anything modified.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought my R33 GTST from a mate (who was also a member on here, but went across to the Z side). He had it as a fresh import from boys toyz in plymouth (I think). He didn't have a single problem with the car while he owned it ad I've no problems (besides wear and tear stuff) in the past year of ownership.

I took a lot of reassurance in knowing at least the UK history of the car, and that my mate spends whatever is required to maintain the car that he owns - and of course you would hope that a 'mate' wasn't going to sell you adog anyway.

My 2p worth

·
R33 GTR V-Spec
113 Posts
I imported my own using Jurgen at JM-Imports as an agent. As was said before it was good having the choice of loads of cars and being able to be very picky with the spec. I wanted only a grade 4 car with lowish miles, and stage 1 mods.

There is a risk though, I've had no problems at all but there is sooo much that can go wrong that if I was doing it again i'm not sure if I'd comfortably stump up the cash for the car and shipping etc before ever seeing or test driving it.

At the time I bought mine quality grade 4 type cars were still expensive in the UK. I reckoned at the time of getting it on the road I had probably saved about £3k from what it was worth. There have been so many crap cars brought in now it has lowered the price of them all to the point where you now see a number of good cars selling for bargain prices. I would be lucky to get the same as I paid for mine now, after taking on all of the risk and time spent in importing it. I honestly don't think that the gains are there in importing yourself any more when compared to the risk you have to take on.

Top recommendation from me would be to buy from an enthusiasts forum like this one. You get to form an opinion of the owner, ask around, search peoples posts for problems, find out about any previous owners etc, and of course have a good test drive.

I wouldn't accept an imported car without auction sheet from anyone.
The auction sheet is such an important document on these cars that the only people that lose them have a reason to want to, such as crash damage and disappearing miles.
There are the rare occasions that a car is exported directly from tuners garages etc and did not go through the auctions but the vast majority without auctions sheets have something to hide IMO.

I wouldn't touch most ebay cars with a 10ft barge pole. Again most have no auction sheet and are crap crash damaged / repaired low grade cars with thousands of miles which have dissappeared on the way over.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.