Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well I took the plunge and bought myself a skyline!! :)

However I didn't really think about petrol. I hear 99 ron is really needed for skylines but I can't think of anywhere near me (Coleraine) that sells it. I know there's a couple other forum members around my area and was wondering what you are using?

Is it safe enough on super unleaded 97 ron?

Or would an octane booster be needed and that would sort it?

Any information would be great!

·
Registered
348 Posts
i dont live in ireland but have visited coleraine, iirc are there some bp garages that will have bp ultimate and they are realeasing an even higher octaine one soon

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont live in ireland but are there no shell or bp garages near?
No shell garages but plenty of bp, I can get bp ultimate handy enough but think it's only 98 ron. Don't know if that would be alright or not?

·
Registered
348 Posts
No shell garages but plenty of bp, I can get bp ultimate handy enough but think it's only 98 ron. Don't know if that would be alright or not?
v power is only 99 octane, there is also tesco momenmentum (however its spelt) thats 99 too

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think there were any Tesco stations close but turns out there is one 14 miles away which isn't ridiculously bad. Don't know if they stock momentum though so i'll give them a call and see!

Otherwise no luck :(

·
Registered
348 Posts
tbh as long as its tuned to whatever fuel you choose i cant see it being a problem :) just slightly reduced performance

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh that's the problem, pretty sure it's tuned to 99 ron. Best here is 97-8. That Tesco's didn't have any so i'll probably have to invest in some octane booster and look into finding somebody who's good at mapping cars so I can run safely on super unleaded.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
97 will be fine mate.

Ran mine on BP Ultimate (97 ron) for years before upping the power and having to get the car mapped anyway, so don't bother wasting your money on octane boosters.

Richard Bradley is the man to talk to about getting it mapped if your wanting to go down that route

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
97 will be fine mate.

Ran mine on BP Ultimate (97 ron) for years before upping the power and having to get the car mapped anyway, so don't bother wasting your money on octane boosters.

Richard Bradley is the man to talk to about getting it mapped if your wanting to go down that route
So you think if it has already been mapped to run 99 ron at 430hp it will be okay with the 97 of super unleaded?

I'm not worried if I lose bhp. It's more I don't want the engine to be pinging or knocking and causing more expensive problems in the long run!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
now that's a game changer!!

what ecu is it currently running?

You could turn the boost down to compensate a bit in the mean time but if that cars no longer running standard ecu and is specifically mapped for 99ron then you will need to get it looked at and remapped for 97 or it could be bye bye pistons :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's running the standard ecu mapped by rising sun to stage 2 as far as I'm aware.

yeh I thought so, I'm going to give Richard Bradley a ring and see what he thinks, i'll just have to stay off boost once my v-power runs out :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why not get it mapped for normal 95ron, then it saves you the hassle
Your right probably would be easier just getting it mapped for 95ron! But I think i'll be safe enough on super unleaded as there's plenty of stations round my area that stock it :)

All being well it'll get sorted next week, but for now it's an expensive yard ornament...

·
Stage 1
814 Posts
If its ben mapped and is at 400bhp+ then no, I personally would not be happy running on anything less than 99ron.

Change the map, or keep searching for fuel nearby.

·
Registered
473 Posts
didn`t read all posts but...

97 RON IS WHAT JDM VEHICLES NEED! almost all JDM petrol vehicles will run without detonation.

There are some cars which must run more than that... Nissan recommends more than 97 but Japans Fuel-stations are not country wide build for wangan racer and nissan sells cars in every corner in japan...even in corners without 104RON.

So Basically all running 97 RON just to avoid damages they recommend over 100

I`m runnin 98 BP since i got my car and it pulls hard without knock or stutter.

Don`t buy the high octane stuff because it`s wasted money. Take 98 not less and you`ll be happy...just be careful when it comes to aftermarket p&p ECUs like MINES or Saurus etc. or even in UK mapped ecus. The Jap ones are for 102 mapped.

·
Registered
113 Posts
im frm portrush I use bp or the morrans near mcd's in craine does super I find it btr than the bps most of the time :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Craigs Garage in Limavady by the bus depot, where i used to fill mine up at. Only place this part of the world does it I think.
That's mad you'd think one of the main stream garages would see potential to supply everyone in northern Ireland with 99ron! But I suppose there might not be an awful lot of demand for it....

I would head to Limavady but would mean a half hour round trip or more to get petrol :(

Cheers daryl I'm thinking bp ultimate will do but I'm pretty close to that star garage if needs be!

Either way Monday and she'll be sorted to run on regular super :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts