Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am almost in need of some new brake discs and pads.

What are your thoughts on this? I thought i might as well spend a little extra and uprate from the standard ones, so what should i go for?

Was thinking possibly DBA, EBC, Black Diamond or something else, and also what about Pads?!?

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
for pads try either yellow stuff or red stuff, dont even think about green stuff as they are crap!!!

for disks why dont you try some from www.rotordiscs.com speak to dan if you can and im sure he will osrt you out, they are not listed on the site but he does do them as he told me himself :)

·
manual convert
583 Posts
hi
i,m running dba,s front/rear with red stuff on front and std pads on rear,
as they only do about 25% of the braking.
i find these are very good day 2 day, until you do ALOT of HEAVY braking (had brake fade whilst setting up b/controller) might try some other make next time. hope this helps.

bruce.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
pm NosAnyone! on this forum as its his company ( sorry if i get into trouble for recomending him )

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I fail to see how the "Rotor discs" could be anything but inferior to a full disc, the more metal the better the heat dissipation, and trust me grams count in the braking game. So cutting away chunks of metal to create what I suppose they see as a pretty shape is crap, IMHO the rotor discs are a gimic for chav' fiestas and the like which can't achieve sufficient impetus to need proper braking anyway.

Aitch

·
Registered
311 Posts
After some discs myself. But don't know what, where from and how much(roughly) Not really into the wavy's.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
DBA's are very good, after some experimenting I have settled on Ferodo 2500 pads, superb combination, I'm delighted. I've also heard good things of brembo discs, so would consider them but would stick with the Ferodo pads.

Aitch

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i will tell dan you caled him a chav :) they have been tested by some mags with good results if you read the info on the website before commenting.

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
DBA discs are very good. team them up with a good pad dependant on what you actually are using the car for. red stuffs would be good for every day use, and maybe pagid race pads or similar for more abuse on track days.

·
Administrator
25,966 Posts
i would also recommend replacing brake fluid with dot 5.1 as i have and with standard brakes at rear and redstuff pads at front paired with slightly larger r32gtr brakes i never once lost brakes or the feel of them caning it round germanys nurburgring or knockhill.:dogpile: :dogpile:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Incidentally, on the crocodile dundee Rotor disc issue, when I see Abbey or rising sun et al using them I'll start to read the spec, and maybe even some of the hype.

Aitch

·
Ex Skylineowner
3,444 Posts
Incidentally, on the crocodile dundee Rotor disc issue, when I see Abbey or rising sun et al using them I'll start to read the spec, and maybe even some of the hype.

Aitch
I think therein lies your problem.

Your posts are, as a rule, incredibly informative and i think your in depth investigations to the things you have encountered are a credit to the forum however i also think that you sometimes take a very way over board - only the best will do - attitude.

You have to remember that a lot our members are driving around in 15-20 year old cars on a very tight budget (after Skyline tax) and that sometimes good value alternatives can be found at the other end of the spectrum.

Like i said earlier, not a dig but an observation :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Mia culpa, mia culpa mia culpa...no seriously, point taken as intended, no problem Mr Palmer..

I guess at 59 years of age I have a coloured perspective, but having spent a very diverse and active life I've seen and done a lot of things. During that time I've had a lot of motor cars (a very lot, and my wive's and kinder have had many more!) and always done some of the work myself, as I am a career engineer in addition to being an instinctive DIY'er. In that time I have yet to witness one single example of a quality mechanical item where unecessary excursions into the fanciful improved the product mechanically.

I do though agree that I can frequently get a little sharp in cutting to the chase as they say, but I'm counting the weeks of Skyline time remaining at my age so time is valuable!

I also tend to overlook the fact that some of our younger readers are on tight budgets, apologies where applicable. However, one caveat here, the most expensive (justifiably of course) products are frequently the most economic in the longer term.

I shall now take a shower and a chill pill followed by some more Skyline time!

Aitch

·
Registered
342 Posts
I went fo DBA discs all round and DS2500 front & rear (yes they do make for a GTST rear:boogy: )
Really nice stopping power is massive over standed but they make some fair old noise. Paid £600 the lot.

·
Administrator
25,966 Posts
Mia culpa, mia culpa mia culpa...no seriously, point taken as intended, no problem Mr Palmer..

I guess at 59 years of age I have a coloured perspective, but having spent a very diverse and active life I've seen and done a lot of things. During that time I've had a lot of motor cars (a very lot, and my wive's and kinder have had many more!) and always done some of the work myself, as I am a career engineer in addition to being an instinctive DIY'er. In that time I have yet to witness one single example of a quality mechanical item where unecessary excursions into the fanciful improved the product mechanically.

I do though agree that I can frequently get a little sharp in cutting to the chase as they say, but I'm counting the weeks of Skyline time remaining at my age so time is valuable!

I also tend to overlook the fact that some of our younger readers are on tight budgets, apologies where applicable. However, one caveat here, the most expensive (justifiably of course) products are frequently the most economic in the longer term.

I shall now take a shower and a chill pill followed by some more Skyline time!

Aitch
all information you have contributed to this forum is VERY MUCH appreciated mate and as i know u research a lot before posting anything and as i say its up to the owner whether or not to listen to any advice given or go out and try for themselves. as james said you do seem short in that its your way or not but being here the past year i have learned that you dont mean it and its a lovable trait about you:gay: so any help given is much appreciated buddy:cheers:
and as for the most expensive being the best in the future its not always the case however its comforting to know that there is peaple trying that way first and letting us know if its the best:cheers:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts