Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just heard on the news today that apple somehow were allowed to sue samsung for "copying". They're getting a huge amount of money because on android phones you can double tap to zoom in on webpages and the like.

First off, apple copy other things, then patent things so nobody else can do the same. To start with they didn't even come up with the iPhone all by themselves, yet they are always making out they came up with all these exciting innovations. Facetime as an example, sorry, but could you not do video calling years ago on old nokia's? So how did apple come up with it themselves?

Secondly, their problem is with android, not samsung. So why sue samsung? Oh yes, that's right. If they went to sue google for inventing android, google would retaliate by blocking anything from apple using any of googles products, which they kinda depend on.

Back to them not even making the iphone by themselves, guess who apple were working with? That's right, google. Steve Jobs wanted to pretty much dictate how he wanted it, google disagreed with him so they parted ways. Steve Jobs then went off and patented everything from that collaboration that he could, then released the iphone which was heavily based on google's input. Absolutely disgraceful way of working, and it seems that's still apple's way of dealing with things even after his death. If they're a real threat, sue.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I think that Samsung is definitely in the wrong here. The operating systems run at EXACTLY the same speed as the iPhone equivalent. They've obviously cloned the technology and now it's been proven in court to the tune of $1,000,000.00. If Apple have used other ideas then they haven't been caught yet.

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I assume you're joking, but just in case you're not, how is it exactly the same given that their operating systems are different?

Put it this way, pc's have used mice for donkeys years now as you all know. Apple macs started using them too, and you use them in exactly the same way whether a windows system or mac system, you move the mouse around to move a cursor around the screen, left click to select something, right click to bring up a menu, etc. So should Microsoft sue apple? That's exactly what apple are doing to anyone who's a threat to them, and in most cases they weren't even the first to do the thing that was "copied"!

They even patented the word "pad" a while back, even though it's not exactly a new word that's specific to only one thing in the world. So potentially, anyone that uses the word "pad" in the branding of their products could be sued. How they repeatedly get away with this kind of retarded **** is beyond me.

·
Registered
441 Posts
the thing I find most disturbing is that in the US they win pretty much every lawsuit, but in every other country the judges are like...guys, go f*ck yourselves. One judge even asked the apple attorney if he was on crack when he claimed the would've sold 400 million(!!!) more iphones if samsung hadn't released the galaxy.

I'll leave you with this apple commercial to show that Apple today is just a money grubbing, disgustingly fascist company who want nothing more than to control every aspect of human life...exactly the opposite of what the original founders wanted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsWzJo2sN4

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I assume you're joking, but just in case you're not, how is it exactly the same given that their operating systems are different?

Put it this way, pc's have used mice for donkeys years now as you all know. Apple macs started using them too, and you use them in exactly the same way whether a windows system or mac system, you move the mouse around to move a cursor around the screen, left click to select something, right click to bring up a menu, etc. So should Microsoft sue apple? That's exactly what apple are doing to anyone who's a threat to them, and in most cases they weren't even the first to do the thing that was "copied"!

They even patented the word "pad" a while back, even though it's not exactly a new word that's specific to only one thing in the world. So potentially, anyone that uses the word "pad" in the branding of their products could be sued. How they repeatedly get away with this kind of retarded **** is beyond me.
Nope not joking. Just stating that if there was no wrong doing by Samsung then it wouldn't have let them a billion dollars.
Operating system was the wrong word but they tested both the iPhone and the Galaxy and they functioned in exactly the same way and were exactly the same speed. It was a clone of Apples technology. These are facts. You're entitled to you opinion of coarse but you can't dispute the facts.

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So for example, one mobile sending a text in exactly the same time as another mobile means one manufacturer copied the other and they'd be entitled to sue, even if the method used to do such a task is different?

It's a case of apple consuming everything, claiming it as their own and then the US courts sticking up for a US company.

Besides, samsung aren't the ones who made the operating system anyway, google did. Yet unsurprisingly apple won't touch google. Samsung aren't the only ones who use android, they just happen to have the largest market share at the moment, so the biggest threat at the time. A year or so back it was HTC in the firing line instead, which funnily enough also isn't a US company. Do you see a pattern here? Google is US based, and even if it wasn't, apple depends on it too much to pick a fight directly, they're trying to pick off the handset manufacturers that use the OS rather than target the OS itself.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Samsung have been found guilty in a court of law with regards to their use of Data-Tapping and Unified Search Technologies that Apple have patents on. Whether you agree with the ruling or not it isn't all made-up. There has to be some substance to it or it wouldn't have gone to court.

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's just it, they patent everything, even if it wasn't theirs to start with, and then sue any competition that pokes it's head out of the trenches. They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

It's no different to a car manufacturer suddenly trying to sue other manufacturers for also using four wheels and an engine to propel it, even though all the parts to do it are different. It's a joke.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
They're not sueing Google though. They have successfully sued Samsung though. I think HTC may be next too.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Totally agree with you. My point is that the other companies appear to be copying Apple patented technology to sell their phones. If they were all squeaky clean and developed their own different systems that achieve a similar result to Apple's functions in their iPhone then there wouldn't be All these lawsuits, court cases and injunctions.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
LOL apple suck they now no that before they release a new phone there is already an android phone that is better than it my bet is that the s3 and the one x are better than the 5 that is due out next month.
And apple also tried this with Samsung pad and lost the battle and also in a Korean court both ended up having to pay each other money i used to love my iphones but are just so far behind top end android phones now apple have to resort to lawsuits.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Spooks, you seem to be somewhat naive about what Apple are trying to do and how they go about doing it. Apple have won a number of initial injunctions against Samsung all of which have subsequently been overturned as I recall (could be wrong). Saying they have "won in a court of law" does not mean the result was correct, and Samsung will appeal, as the "court of law" allows for that very reason.

Much of the patent disputes made by Apple are for technology or design for which there is prior example. Apple attempt to restrict this information from being admissible in court. The US patent office does not check for prior art. Patents are awarded if there is no similar patent logged. It is only when a patent is challenged that prior are may be brought in to the fold. A patent owner does not equal inventor.

Apple's history of patent disputes are aimed soley at those companies that provide the greatest threat to their business and the greatest ability for large payouts, not those companies that may actually contravene their patents. As the current 500lb tech giant, they are in a financial position to undertake patent proceedings against any company as they see fit, with or without warrant, incurring considerable cost to other companies in the process. Until patent lawsuits dynamics are changed so that legal costs are picked up by a losing party, these frivolous lawsuits will continue by companies in a monopolistic position.

Apple has moved the Smartphone market to new heights and deserves some admiration and merit for that. They haven't created new technology or functionality that I can see. What they have done is package that functionality in an easy to use and desirable (by most) phone. For that they should be recognised. However, they have been caught with their pants down, and competition from the Android platform and hardware manufacturers that use it, have surpassed Apple in terms of functionality and technical capability. Apple, for me at least, still holds the top dog role in terms of aesthetic design and packaging. However, instead of suing everyone that competes with them, they should focus on developing the next big thing rather that stifle innovation altogether.

On the recent decision in a US court, I'm certain that in a democratic capitalist country like the US, there was no pressure made by Apple lobbyists in Washington to the outcome of this case. That kind of thing isn't common practice at all.

·
Registered
327 Posts
i dont like american apple for forcefully trying to monopolise the smartphone market

i dont like korean samsung for stealing ideas from others when they cant think of it themselves

and how about japanese sony or sharp? they have brilliant phones but they were left behind in the software department because they didnt do what the above two did. good honest japs. well i went and got a sony anyway

1 - 20 of 61 Posts