Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
N/A is the way forward!
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help here guys,

In now old enough and earning enough to get on the credit ladder however i dont have much of a clue as to which card to go for, or indeed what im looking for in a credit card?

my plan is to basically use the card and pay it off before any interest is even applied, however i understand that this may not always be the case.

cards with clubcard and nectar points dont really interest me lol so i cant be swayed by those kind of companies however low interest is gooood (this is basically all ive come to know)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
If your going to pay it before and interest is incurred, pretty much any card, but otherwise look for the one with the best interest rate.

Moved to the correct section.

·
rb30 r34, s15 and a trusty daily lexus!
200 Posts
i have a bank of scotland credit card, i got 18month interest free on purchases and the interest rate is low afterwards.

go on money supermarket, best place!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
As above, you want the one with the lowest intersest rate. If you're going to pay the balance off in full each month then no interest will be applied anyway

·
N/A is the way forward!
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input,

I bank with Natwest currently, their platinum card is

Standard interest rate for purchases: 6.9% p.a. (variable)
Representative 11.1% APR (variable) based on an assumed Credit Limit of £1,200
Annual fee: £24

doesnt seem too bad? although no introductory offers

·
rb30 r34, s15 and a trusty daily lexus!
200 Posts
try bank of scotland, i only got my credit card 2 months ago and they are by far the best i could find.

lowest interest
highest interest free time
highest limit (£3000)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Avoid credit cards at all costs haha. Nightmare things unless you are seriously switched on with your incomings and outgoings. Probably best to pay for a regular item that you would normally get each month, dont spend beyond what you can afford to pay back when the bill comes in. Dont use to by yourself a new TV or anything as thats when you cant afford to pay all back and then pay half next month which adds interest... and the spiral of **** starts haha... Been there... done that and got the tshirt.
If you are good with money though... generally go for the lowest APR one you can get really... but beware that the advertised APR isnt what you will necessarily end up getting and so if you earn interest you will pay back more...

·
N/A is the way forward!
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in comparison the bank of scotland does have some introductory offers but with interest levels of over 18%?

haha well i have held off for so long, i just want to do a bit of juggling and get my car paid off quicker in the cheapest possible way (not the skyline)

·
Old Git Having Fun....
385 Posts
Avoid credit cards at all costs haha. Nightmare things unless you are seriously switched on with your incomings and outgoings. Probably best to pay for a regular item that you would normally get each month, dont spend beyond what you can afford to pay back when the bill comes in. Dont use to by yourself a new TV or anything as thats when you cant afford to pay all back and then pay half next month which adds interest... and the spiral of **** starts haha... Been there... done that and got the tshirt.
If you are good with money though... generally go for the lowest APR one you can get really... but beware that the advertised APR isnt what you will necessarily end up getting and so if you earn interest you will pay back more...
^^^^^ This.. I am 51 this year, had my first Barclaycard at 20-something. Incredibly useful but also incredibly easy to get into deep water, which I have done many times! Almost everyone I know has made the mistake of spending loads and then just paying back the minimum, including myself!

Spend only what you can afford to pay back at the end of the month.... get a bank loan at a quarter of the interest rate for big purchases that you need to spread the payments for over a long time.

Cheers, Dave

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
also DO NOT go on differant sites and register to see what card you will get because if you try on sveral differant sites it will count as your trying to get more than one card and it will screw up your credit rating

i tried to get a card for our honeymoon and i was denied a card with a limit of 2 grand even though my monthly wage was triple that and my wife who was a student with student loans and no credit history at all got one for 1750.

syste is backwards i tell you lol

·
Super Moderator
2,723 Posts
I got a £2000 credit card years ago and did the usual of maxing it out within a few months. Admittedly I was young so I would buy loads of smaller things that all add up because it was like having free money.
It took years and a tour of Afghanistan to clear the debt. I've got another one now with £6k on it but I've grown up a lot and learned my lesson so it still has £6k on it and is for mega emergencies only.

If you're going to pay the balance off every month then look at which card gives you the best protection on your purchases etc rather than the interest rates.

Just be careful!

P.S.
Reeper... What job did you do to take home £6k a month? I want one!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
P.S.
Reeper... What job did you do to take home £6k a month? I want one!
well its not quite that much but close enough and its the job im at right this second actually.
im on an off shore oil rig between saudi arabi and kuwait sitting in an air conditioned office waiting on the rig to finish well completion and to start drilling the other wells :D

·
N/A is the way forward!
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys much appreciated, good to hear some experiences too lol. good thing im a tight bas***d! :)

Wow are they after any engineers?! I wouldnt need a credit card!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
I know a lot of people leave my trade and go to work off shore...I can kind of see why now. I'm out in 2 years so maybe I should consider it and come work with you :D
its not that great mate as the rig im on i cant get used to the food so im starving all month,summer is around 50 degrees and humidity is through the roof and you still need to work hard night is just as hot and humid but with the added bonus of it being dark
plus the money is that much as it needs to pay tax and last 2 months as majority of peaple only get paid on there time here so 5 grand would become 2500 quid a month which isnt a lot

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
its a noble rig working for aramco

1 - 20 of 21 Posts