Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into my local halfords today as I need to repaint my boot lid for various reasons (big and aluminium!). They do a paint matching service and I was curious as to whether they could do mine (code 732). So.... The guy came out and had a look and scratched his head a bit, I gave him the paint code from the VIN plate and LO AND BEHOLD!!!! It was on their system. Nissan Deep Pearl Black Metallic or some such nonsense!

ten minutes later I have 750ml or so in a spray can ready to rock!

Well impressed!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Now for the bad news, there is usually at least four official shades of any paint on a car dependant on what mix they were using when they toshed your motor.

E

·
0 Posts
Too true. In my days as a panel beater we sprayed an Astra door 17 different shades of silver untill we finally got it right & the customer was happy with the colour match. Little did he know that my boss was well & truly ****ed off with him & mixed all 17 cans together out of frustration. Somehow the colour came out spot on.

Also when a garage in Peterborough had my car recently it took them over a week just to find out what the colour was called.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Its a strange game, bloke who is an ace painter did my front bumper, was matching mettallic grey with swatches saying " nah too much brown in that one" Wot? oh well get on and do it

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah...

Am prepared for experimentation, we had similar problems at a bodyshop I worked in in falkirk years ago. Some geezer brought in a Silver Shadow that had a scratch on the door and it took a LONG time for the boys to do it. I still remember watching the sprayer sitting in the spray bay with all the cellulose and paint around chain smoking and cursing. Swear I still don't know how he didn't blow himself up!

Still, its only the rear half of the top of the boot lid where the old spoiler used to be, not the most frequently observed part of the back end!

Here's a coupla pics of the new wing.... (just washed it)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoping

to have the wheels finished and on sometime next week.

Dragons? Where? I see no dragons. They are mythical creatures laddie, like Santa claus and the easter bunny, and the G-Spot.

Hmm, there's a thought. Maybe I could get one of them for my bonnet!

:D

·
Free icecream
2,112 Posts
A very nice spoiler young man.

Stop me if you've heard it... but I went to get some paint mixed at Halfored for my rear panel. £9 for 300ml of QM1. Got it home and get everything sorted, put plenty on, waited for it to dry overnight - OMG not even close (far too much blue in it!).
Went to my local car spares shop and he had the swatches out and found the right QM1, mixed up 500ml for £7 and job done.

Good thing is that Halfords gave me a refund no Qs asked.

G-spots eh! Tsh, I know where it's just getting hold of one!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...

Paint is on and.......

Its nothing like the rest of it!

Mind you, I know the car was resprayed a few years back, and it may not have been in the original colour, so no idea whether halfords were right or the car is just now a slightly different colour.

Not a big issue as its an area which is either in the shadow of the wing or has a funny reflection in the sun so I can live with it just now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts