Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I asked a question if anyone knew where I could obtain these a few weeks ago. I think its only fair to elaborate on exactly what it is I was looking for now that I have completed what I was looking to do.

Oil squirters cool piston crowns so the engine can run higher compression without detonation. Here we see a block with the Squirters drilled into the jackets enabling the oil to be used in another way other than designed normally.

ok now why ?

Conventional cooling system design results in cylinders that are too hot at the top and too cool at the bottom.

Uneven cooling distorts the cylinder bores and increases internal friction. Downstream cylinders run hotter because the coolant reaching them is already hot.

A more careful design of the cooling jackets produces more uniform cooling, with a lower average temperature, at a minimal additional cost.

So, Piston oil squirters help cool the underside of pistons, so the engine can run a higher compression ratio without knock.

I hope this makes things a little clearer to those that were asking just what exactly I was talking about.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Now without wishing to appear contrary those pics look like the normal oil holes for the big end shells.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes mate but not all engines have them. Anyhow the middle small picture you will notice is however not a end shell, but one of the bores, if you look there is a jet built into the wall.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
What that picture you have added since my reply yer git.
(still argueing) I think all engines except possibly the most basic have oil feeds to the big end shells

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the principle mate for cooling the pistons, i wasnt going into one about the Big end shells.

I was using the clear picture of my old golf engine to illustrate what you have to drill. Its not a clear picture of the piston jet.

With regards to RB25 and RB26 engines they have Steel and Alloy jets apparently.

It is however on really an additional cost most companies would be prepared to do if it is going into a performance engine.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
I agree with what you are saying 100% about the squirters, just couldnt see em in the pic. I am being a bit pedantic thats all, if I had a time of the month it would be now :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts