Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please humour this thicko!!

How does a wideband lambda sensor differ from a standard lambda?
Are they a worthwhile upgrade?
Can I fit one to my Spec1 (Spec2 engine) GTST.
Should I fit one?
Why?

See....Told you I was thick! :crazy:

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,701 Posts
Please humour this thicko!!

How does a wideband lambda sensor differ from a standard lambda?
Are they a worthwhile upgrade?
Can I fit one to my Spec1 (Spec2 engine) GTST.
Should I fit one?
Why?

See....Told you I was thick! :crazy:
a wideband sensor needs a wide band A/F meter/gauge, different to a stock lamdba sensor

AEM and many other companies make wideband A/F meters with WB sensors

·
Registered
341 Posts
Wideband sensors are worth what they cost if you have been modding your engine. It is one of the best ways to make sure you dont run too lean/rich. Well worth it.

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
few hundred for a decent one.

Fancy one myself but didnt look to deep into it as to whats a good priced one

·
Registered
341 Posts
any one know any prices for these
Depends on how deep your pockets are. You can pick up an AEM UEGO for about 150-200 pounds from Ebay. Make sure it includes the Lambada Sensor, gauge, and wiring. Some might not include these and look cheap, but thats why, they arent complete kits.

Innovate makes some good stuff, depending on how indepth you wanna go. They have loggers and all kinds of stuff geared towards tuning. But these sell anywhere from 150-400 pounds. The LC-1 is pretty much just for logging while tuning.

·
Nugget
179 Posts
i got my wideband sensor from innovative motorsport, just link it up to your laptop via rs 232 port , i havent installed it to my skyline yet but when it was in my gt4 it was a god send

·
Registered
572 Posts
right ive thought about getting a wideband now for ages and dont get me wrong they'd be brilliant for monitoring, but what does the standard o2 sensor on the car do?? I mean if i get a wideband will the narrowband be telling the ecu lies (because the widebands more accurate??) Im just unsure of where the lambda sensor actually sends its data to, and how does this data effect the running of the engine?

·
Registered
341 Posts
The difference is in the sensors. The narrowband sensors can tell the ECU when to go into "open" and "closed" loop and tell the ECU when there is a problem with the engine, vaccum leak, rich lean, basically when there is a major flux in A/F ratios.

Normally your wideband sensor will be seperate from your ECU. You do this by installing a seperate bung in the exhaust for your wideband sensor. Then run your wires directly to your gauge, ECU, Laptop, or whatever montioring you are using.

·
Registered
572 Posts
cheers solidtuned, so the standard lambda is still used to control the ecu even though you've a better one on right beside it used just for monitoring? Wonder if the WB could be used for both? I'm beginning to think my lambda's shagged, using an apexi multichecker to check on the a/f ratios at the min and its all over the place, plus the mpg is away with the faires :) thanks for the input, is this clearing anything up for you dragon? :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
The WB can be used, as long as your ECU can read it. Aftermarket ECU's and some piggy back systems (like Greddy E-Manage) can read and adjust to Wb sensors. Also some tunning programs like TunerPro RT, and Enginuity (For you Scooby guys) can read the WBs and can log the info.

Not sure, but the Skylines may have come equipped with WB's from the factory. I havent looked into this but most higher performace cars came with them to help adjust under hard driving conditions.

Speaking of Enginuity, My freind created that for that program specifically for our old car club "Solidtuned", it was primarily WRX's, Google it, I think the name of it changed for Copyright reasons, but its a FREE ECU tuning program for Scoobs, its VERY good and almost as good as some software you would pay Hundreds for.

Here it is: Name changed to RomRaider

http://www.romraider.com/

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
the readout signal from your o2 sensor should be flicking from lean to rich and back again periodically. In a perfect world the signal would sit at 0.5 volts between lean & rich - creating a stoich mix. However the ecu wouldn't then know if the car is running rich or lean at idle/low throttle and fuel efficiency would be really really pants. The ecu needs to fluctuate the fuel readout ever so slightly to cause the o2sensor to pickup the adjustment and send back an altered reading from its 0.5 volts - in a way its the ecu's self diagnostic on the o2 sensor to ensure everythings working.

here's a pic of the signal - 0.5 volts is in the middle and the air/fuel ratio is a happy 14:1 - a tiny change in air/fuel ratio will cause the signal to spike one way or the other depending on an addition or reduction of fuel by the ecu.

if your o2 sensor is jaffed the voltage signal will probably be sat on one side or the other even if you blip the throttle.

wideband sensors have a range more like this:

2.5volts (roughly) equals a stoich mix (well okay its a touch lean) so you can see there is a wider range for getting the right air/fuel ratios on boost :) A wb sensor can accurately measure from a rich mix eg: 9:1 to what is practically free air! this is down to a more sensitive element in it.
As said - they tend to be plugged in separately and monitored along with everything else altho plenty of aftermarket ecu's will take their signal happily.

·
Seasoned member
2,485 Posts
For basic monitoring i think its a expensive add on, but still did consider adding one, Really useful from what i can seeing that info at a rolling road day recently really told a lot of people something was up. Would be good to have that info on tap all the time. Logging would be good though that logs say ever 100revs or whatever.

But it would be even more tempting if it actually helped the ECU too like Stusy has mentioned, so the more acurate readings can be fed back into the ecu for slight changes
required. The other option it seems is a aftermarket ECU just that can take full advantage of it straight away

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
dunno why you'd want to convert the wb back into narrowband to be honest - it'd be easier to put the wb signal into the cars ecu - altho the stock ecu on a skyline wont accept the wb signal (I think).

Its easier to just directly connect the wb for monitoring whilst mapping - again tho I dont know which ecu's will directly accept that wb signal into their software, and which ones need to be monitored outside of the mapping session, but thats the art lol! Watch everything at Xrpm's ...yer oil temps, water temps, exhaust gas temps, air/fuel ratios, then push to get a bit more power for that rpm range.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
The AEM UEGO is the best wideband you can get for reasonable price! It is a full kit and comes with sensor, wiring and gauge. So no laptop or anything needed to monitor the readings. Its response is also mega fast. The sensor is a Bosch one too, so very good quality! Wouldn´t waste my money on anything else to be honest. There are other wideband sytems that are good too and some of them offer even more features, but they´re usually way more expensive. Imho opinion no need to spend that money.

·
Registered
341 Posts
hey Rex, I've got an innovate LM1 in mine (might be LC1) - is it possible to wire that into a gauge at all for display?

Innovate's stuff is better, in my opinion, than the AEM but it cost more too. If your looking to upgrade now and you have an LC1 sensor, just buy the XD16 gauge kit.

Or the standard gauge add on to the LC1 would only set you back like 60-70 quid.

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Doesn´t yours have an output to connect a laptop or whatever to it? If I remember correctly it does. If so, you can connect it either to your computer or to some kind of gauge/monitor to check the readings, yes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts