Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got home from work tonight,i live in a block of flats in a nice quiet area nothing really happens round here.As i was walking to the entrance of my flat a guy that lives in the flats calls me over to his car to inform me that at around 2pm the other night he witnesed 3 teenagers trying the door handles on a few cars including mine!!

He went outside to question them and they ran away.Im now worried they might return.car has a good cat 1 alarm so they cant steal it, but if find any damage i might end up in prison if i ever found them!.

Might have to go back to keeping it at the girlfriends parents house,they live on a farm with long drive and cant be seen from the road,its only a 5 min drive from me:

Rant over:)lol.

·
Assassino
5,924 Posts
mate chances are they were just idiots who ain't got a clue and they did try other cars as well if it was just yours they tried i would be more worried but at the same time if you can cope ok with the car at girlfriends parents house it probably is a case of better safe than sorry

T

·
0 Posts
Do what I and most folk do. Take out the fuel pump fuse or wire in a hidden switch in place of it. ;)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
mate chances are they were just idiots who ain't got a clue and they did try other cars as well if it was just yours they tried i would be more worried..
Very true. It's not a very nice feeling, but if they really want in your car, they don't go trying the handles on everyone's car in the street. It looks like they're either after a bit of opportunism, or just fancied messing with peoples cars.

If they wanted in, they'd pop the window there and then. And if they planned to go back, they wouldn't be bringing that attention to themselves in the first place.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Very true. It's not a very nice feeling, but if they really want in your car, they don't go trying the handles on everyone's car in the street. It looks like they're either after a bit of opportunism, or just fancied messing with peoples cars.

If they wanted in, they'd pop the window there and then. And if they planned to go back, they wouldn't be bringing that attention to themselves in the first place.

+1.

I bet this happens to your car / our cars all the time when parked up in different locastions like when your shopping for instance. So i would not worry unless they did try and break in.

If they wanted to break into your car they would of. But these theifs sound like the type that go around seeing if the owner was stupid enough to leave there car open and then steal your sat nav or money etc left in your glove box.

I shouldn't say this as stealing is 100% wrong but i can live with theifs that dont damage your car or want to steal it but teach you a lessson not to leave your car unlocked! yes you loose your sat nav or simular but take it as a lesson not to leave your cars unlocked!

This happened to me once, i left my van unlocked and full of tools. To be honest i always did as i used to live in a very quiet area that nobody locked there cars etc!
Anyway they took one of my tools (closest to the back of the van and in a box). This tool was worth around £5000 and was really heavy! Well lucky for me a neighbour from down the road knocked the door in the morning and asked me if i had lost my tools? confused i looked at my van and the door was open! Neighbour says dont worry its outside my house! I walked down the road and yes my £5000 tool was sat outside his house? We can only guess the tool was to heavy for the theif to carry. it did weigh a ton and i could only just get it on and off the van.

Lucky for me but i learnt my lesson to lock at all times. (o and remove all tools )

·
Seasoned Member
1,026 Posts
Yeah just opportunists mate, wouldn’t worry too much about it. I know it’s not nice knowing someone has tried to get in your car without you being there, but it’s what the lea leaves do. My alarm senses the door handles being tried and then makes the fob bleep with an icon telling you the handle has been tried. In 3 years its happened about 5 times while in asda car park and 1 or 2 times while outside my house (normally it’s in the garage)

Just make sure nothings on show and as above, glove box open showing its empty is a good tip

·
Registered
42 Posts
We had this in my road 2 nights running, a couple of people wondering round late at night trying car handles. One of my neighbours left a rear door open and lost their satnav - but that was all.

They're probably just opportunists, wanting to quickly nab a satnav or something.

·
Car work on a budget, a very SMALL budget :(
3,080 Posts
If they really want in they will. My old car didn't have an alarm and they must have known that as they just stuck a crowbar in the top of the door and bent the top of the door down so they could open it...

I never leave my car unlocked ever and remove anything valuable from it.

T

·
0 Posts
Pager alarms are good. They'll send a beep to the fob and it tells you what sensor has gone off on the car. Pretty cheap too.

·
4,870 Posts
am so paranoid about leavin my car unlocked specially were am working.... but outside house i keep it locked but leave radio in which i shouldnt...

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Pager alarms are good. They'll send a beep to the fob and it tells you what sensor has gone off on the car. Pretty cheap too.
Yep pagers are spot on but do have some issues.

They flatten the battery quick. Not a issue if you use the car every day but leave the car for a week and it will be flat. (well mine is)

The other thing that annoys me is the range is crap. There great if you park your car in a field but in a built up area there crap. Mine struggles to transmit to the rear of the house. But it will send a signal for 1 mile if no buildings are in the way.

The best system is a GSM one. It uses a mobile phone and rings/tex's you. Obviously this has unlimited range providing your phone has signal.

·
Registered
468 Posts
ive got a proximetey alarm on mine so if anyone goes near it (especially down the sides to handles) it will warn them away with five loud beeps and page me that someone is snooping aswell as the primary car alarm if they thought they were clever, it has 6 different ongoing bleeping sirens one after the other one of which is police that would get the attention of anyone and definently pull the rest of the street outta bed, just because of the noises it kicks out ud be like wtf is that. something you might want to consider. its a viper thatcham cat1 and a crackin piece of kit! id challenge anyone to go near my skyline without me knowing exactly where they stood near it!

http://www.caralarmuk.com/acatalog/info_37.html

i paid 450 quid for alarm pager, proximety sensors, turbo timer and fitting to all - this also brought my premiums down significantly (oh and he comes to your door to do it) and the beauty of it is you get to catch them and smash ther faces of the kerbs.ive figuered if youve got runners there up to summin if you got walkers there admiring it, but either way you will sleep well!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts