Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BRITISH GUMBALL - SPEEDBALL 2005!!!!! http://www.british-speedball.co.uk

Hey guys,

Just watched the gumball movie and had an idea. For a while now, I have been wanting to do something crazy and for the beginning of feb we'd planned to got Edinbugh in a day and pis around for a few days and that will probably still happen....

HOWEVER....

Now I'm thinking of something a little bit better and more extreme. A long weekends driving, staying in B&B's/hostels (can't stretch to the gumball 5* gaffs!) maybe down to the south of France/Spain/Portugal

Just looking for interest, I got a few guys already interested, looking for support here and if there is will get in touch with other jap forums and maybe more. Could be great, and would plan it properly with stops etc if there is interest. Names below and constructive comments...............

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I was half toying with the idea of organising a southern run up to Crail later this year or something similar. Would be a real laugh and some spectacular roads en route.

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well what I was thinking was maybe meeting at a B&B in france on a friday evening (first off the dover ferry). Then leave early Saturday morning to start the festivities, could easily get south of france in that day (biaretizz for example). Then into spain 10 am sun. find somewhere cool to goto in spain and then back via alps/paris etc on the way back with a huge convoy towards the arc de triumph and probably le mans (cause a section of the track is on public roads)

All people would have to do is to 'arrange' to get food poisioning or something for the monday and tuesday after the weekend. Sorted!

Throw me some ideas and I'll start to get to work on it. would be best in the summertime for the sun and the hunnies, will look at school holidays and probably avoid these so that those unfortunates with kids can come and play.

Whitey
BRITISH GUMBALL FOUNDER

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah could incorporate that into the journey home although that would be a fooking long drive then. I'm not looking or it to be a mad 150mph dash everywhere. My slant on this is a steady (at times fast) drive across the continent incorporating some cool sites. Germany isn't much good for anything else but he ring (and maybe the M3). France and spain however, offer sun, sea sand and cheap booze. Think more is on offer this way than towards Germany??????

Will look for tracks in that direction and other motor related activities. Thinking that a trip to the ring should be just that? Fair or would people like to see the ring incorporated?

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
there is something like this going around at the moment although it seems chav orientated :rolleyes: ... copied this from another website - see below

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
SCREWBALL
JOHN O GROATS TO LANDS END

DATE: 30th JUNE - 2nd JULY
COST: £450
DEPOSIT: £150
ENTRY OPTION 1: 1 car with 2 people
ENTRY OPTION 2: 2 cars with 1 person per car

Entry fee to the Screwball covers either option 1 or 2, which ever is chosen will include 4 nights in hotels, breakfasts each morning and tickets to Max- power live. The Screwball is for all makes and models of cars, modified or not, although modified would be better. Also its for the people like my self who have watched things like the Gumball, Cannonball run ect but can't afford the massive entry fee. Screwball will begin on the Thursday 30th of June from John O Groats, but entrants and passangers must be at the hotel the day before (Wednesday 29th) to regester, this will also give the Screwballers a chance to get to know each other. On Thursday we will drive from John O Goats to Birmingham, sounds like a peace of cake when you read it like that, but it aint, its a 576 mile journey, give or take a couple. It will be a long drive but thats what its all about, if your reading this and having doubts then stop reading cause this run aint for you, this run is for the real car enthusiasts its not for the faint hearted. You will arrive at the hotel in Birmingham and have a well earned rest, you will need it. The next morning, Friday 1st of July the cars will leave at the same time and start the last leg of the journey, a round trip from Birmingham to Lands End and back to Birmingham, which is 600 miles. And that will be the end of the journey, 1200 Mile road trip,on the Saturday 2nd of July you can relax have a well diserved drink with the rest of the Screwballers and tell each other all the stories from the first ever top to bottom Screwball Rally. And not to forget you will also have Max power live show to go to.

CHARATY
Charity 1- Child advocacy international- helps kids in poorer countries get medical help, education ect.
Charity 2-Marie Curie cancer care

Also each person in the event will receive a sponsor sheet to raise some cash for the charities, doesn't have to be alot, even if you go round your freinds and family, everything counts.

SPONSORS
Any sponsors of the event will get there company logo on all of the cars entering, any enquerys about sponsoring the run no matter how big or small contact [email protected]

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonderful idea apart from the fact I live pretty close to lands end and they would just be double backing on themselves the whole time which to me, naive as I am, sounds pretty fooking chav like!

agreed that is a silly idea? ok I'm going to buy a website addy and do this seriously. got it sorted in my head, just need some positive feedback and things can get rolling. Anyone got any additions to the rough brief I gave then please add to it. give me something to do instead of the 4 assignments due by last week....

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
Once you've know your plans post them up on all the decent car club websites and im sure you'll get plenty of interest i'd really like to do it myself but i always fall asleep on long journeys and i don't think im trusting the mrs with the skyline just yet

...Oh and give £1million sterling as prize money as an extra incentive :) not free tickets to "motorworld Kroozin live at santa pod" :funny:

T

·
0 Posts
My only problem with anything associated in this country is the Police/cameras. Abroad (at the moment) you will get fined, here you will get points/fine/banned. I`m not anti U.K events such as those mentioned but the chances of being caught speeding are far higher, lets face it people will exesivley speed no matter what they say :)

·
Clubbed Member
92 Posts
You can get return tickets Dover - Boulogne for £50 from Speedferries

If the dates are right I will come with you to France and half way to Spain but then bail out. I've got a house there.

Always looking for volunteers that can decorate etc. that want a working/playing holiday.

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
boulogne is an idea too! will look closely at perspective crossings. Ok so its sorted that nothing is to happen in this country (thats the point of this - to get out of the damned country!!)

Not sure that we wish to incorporate decorating into the trip but whatever floats peoples boats I guess!

don't know what a fair distance to travel ina day is. am looking at maps and I reckon we could do Le Mans onto Biarritz (1st day), Monaco for the F1 bends etc (2nd day), Luxembourg (3rd) then home on the fourth. This however, misses out paris which I was hoping to get in, would be mad to do a convoy through paris.

Working on it in my sleep. Night. Feedback required..........

Whitey
BRITISH SPEEDBALL TRIANGLE (renamed)

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
whitey said:
boulogne is an idea too! will look closely at perspective crossings. Ok so its sorted that nothing is to happen in this country (thats the point of this - to get out of the damned country!!)

Not sure that we wish to incorporate decorating into the trip but whatever floats peoples boats I guess!

don't know what a fair distance to travel ina day is. am looking at maps and I reckon we could do Le Mans onto Biarritz (1st day), Monaco for the F1 bends etc (2nd day), Luxembourg (3rd) then home on the fourth. This however, misses out paris which I was hoping to get in, would be mad to do a convoy through paris.

Working on it in my sleep. Night. Feedback required..........

Whitey
BRITISH SPEEDBALL TRIANGLE (renamed)
Thats a better idea as i definatley agree with trev

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
If your car is low or lowered or has an aftermarket front end, you will do damage getting on the ferries, tunnel is a much better option, I have done it many times on both. Have you ever tried driving through or around Paris lately ? Peripheric ???? add an extra half day.

·
Whitey
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok great, there is some useful info to mention within the pack. This would be up to the drivers discretion because the first checkpoint would be in Calais (or nearby). Maybe Paris is one to leave out too.

Thanks - this is the kind information that people need.

Getting a good and realistic route together now. Probably best to wait and see when there is a bank holiday too.

Whitey

·
Registered
868 Posts
I would be interested, but unless you have a death wish I would avoid Paris, I drove through it last summer and it was a nightmare, would never do it again, fine I suppose if you have a 2CV and dont mind crashing into other cars.

Andy

1 - 20 of 123 Posts