Skyline Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Holy f**k sir are we really on our roof?
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since when did the English speaking world start this shite? Why can people not simply say should've? How is it any easier writing it a ****ed up way that doesn't make sense?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thank you. Just brilliant.

It's because people write how they speak. It's a confusion between the word 'of' and the suffix 've which denotes a contraction of two words, usually involving 'have'.
As we're on the subject I'll vent a little here.
There: meaning a condition a being
Their: meaning belonging to
They're: a contraction of 'they are'
Don't just pick the top one and use it universally.

Also people using 'to' when they mean 'too' (or 'as well as')
Also people writing 'on route' instead of the actual phrase 'en route' (French term)

I'm not perfect myself but I hate the fact that people simply don't care if they get it wrong.

[/rant]

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
I hate the constant interchanging of 'Lose' and 'Loose'.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thank god! People who talk sense. I don't understand The purpose of using text speak when it was originally used to save money when people paid per text. Now it's just stupid with predictive text etc. I often wonder how people get jobs sometimes.

·
Holy f**k sir are we really on our roof?
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you were applying for a job would you write your cv like a retard or use proper English to describe yourself? Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I was browsing the forums earlier this week and someone's thread title had July spelt with 2 l's!
It's a four letter word! How hard is it?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Some people are genuinely illiterate but the ones who actually received an education and still speak/write as if they're banging their head on a keyboard pee me right off. Init.

T

·
0 Posts

It's because people write how they speak. It's a confusion between the word 'of' and the suffix 've which denotes a contraction of two words, usually involving 'have'.

Also people writing 'on route' instead of the actual phrase 'en route' (French term)

I'm not perfect myself but I hate the fact that people simply don't care if they get it wrong.

[/rant]
I hate the constant interchanging of 'Lose' and 'Loose'.
Thank god! People who talk sense. I don't understand The purpose of using text speak when it was originally used to save money when people paid per text. Now it's just stupid with predictive text etc. I often wonder how people get jobs sometimes.
Some people are genuinely illiterate but the ones who actually received an education and still speak/write as if they're banging their head on a keyboard pee me right off. Init.
Finally! People standing up to these Emo shits! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
It annoys the sh*t out of me when people fail to use any kind of punctuation what-so-ever when I'm reading it in my mind I run out of breath because I have no idea where to pause and it's incredibly frustrating also often you have no idea where a sentence was meant to end and another begin so it's just a string of words thrown together randomly which is unbelievably confusing. Full. Stop.

When I come to power I'm going to enforce a license to use a keyboard and/or mobile phone. A license to breed is also on the to do list. :D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm constantly correcting people on Facebook or my mrs when she's writing things down..its a crucifiction of my language and it really winds me up

the worst one is the old "there, their, they're" argument and the "your, you're" discussion

GO TO SCHOOL!!!

maybe this should be in the "what grind my gears" section ;)

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts

[/rant]
You need to get out more, period!!

I know how to spell and i hate "text talk" and i try and use punctuation where i see fit, but if i spell the odd word wrong people know what i mean.
There are 171,476 and you want me to remember all, as if!! I suppose you do eh!!
So all in all go get a hobby instead of critasizing people because they got a few letters wrong, Loser

·
NBOOST
3,309 Posts
I'm with Tilly on this one, so what, I might get a few words wrong or spell something wrong. I'm not the worlds worst at english but I'm far from being the worlds best.

There's a big difference between txt speak and being unable to spell, 9x out of 10 if a word is mis spelt you can still read and understand it unlike the txt crap.

Some people might not be able to help it, so could this be classed as breaking rule number 5 of the forums rules.

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
5. Bullying - Most of us here are grown up enough to get on nicely with each other, but some like to make life difficult for others. This could be in the shape of prejudice or targeting a specific user or social group. SkylineOwners.Com will not tolerate this.

People being "thick" "stupid" "unable to spell" "dislexic" ect. Dont mock us, that IS bullying!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
If I were to answer a technical question to someone on this forum and another person knew a better way of doing it I would welcome the correction. Why is that not the case when I, very occasionally, correct peoples spelling or grammar?
I see it as a way of improving yourself. You learn something new every day etc.
Some people find it difficult to spell but I find it difficult to read bad English. I'm discriminating as much as I am being discriminated against.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You need to get out more, period!!

I know how to spell and i hate "text talk" and i try and use punctuation where i see fit, but if i spell the odd word wrong people know what i mean.
There are 171,476 and you want me to remember all, as if!! I suppose you do eh!!
So all in all go get a hobby instead of critasizing people because they got a few letters wrong, Loser
Criticising :D

sorry I couldn't resist, just trying to lighten the mood

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.