Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
R32 2 R33 2 R34 ZTUNE PLZ
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some bloke on a US site winging to US folks whom want a Skyline,and his advice is against the car saying how rubbish they are.So after months of this i decided to mail him and ask why the hatred against Skylines.
His answer is below.I have tried to think of a good reply but after all these months i feel my answer would be just nasty and not help the Skyline cause.
Any ideas for a clever reply to this skyline hater.

Message: Just about all the importers who dabbled in those cars are out of business partially because the stock of good wrecked cars is exhausted and heavy fines and EPA probably killed MOTOREX. I have driven race cars with exterior lighting just barely street legal. ANd when I jump into a skyline with big turbo(s) I feel almost the same except for interior and miniumal sound deading. Hype has made the skyline more car than it actually was.
Message: All wheel drive parts are Skyline only. Federal emissions? and there is no USA back up for service / parts. And heres the other thing Games have played up the image of the car: people always want something rare and fast.One more thing Japan Skylines are getting old. American 350Z. 2003 are getting cheep. And don't look old getting companys money to go drifting.
X-Box generation how rare the Skyline GTR's actually are given how many were already wrecked there are so few cars that can be imported and Smogged and DOT. I keep telling that the 350Z is the best bang for your USA dollars.
Skyline's are so old fashioned and getting older every year.I am always surprized people would want a 1980's era turbo 4 wheel drive car.What is it with all the Skyline people? Must be video gamers. Why buy a Japan10 year old performance car,

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
".....Skyline's are so old fashioned and getting older every year.I am always surprized people would want a 1980's era turbo 4 wheel drive car.What is it with all the Skyline people? Must be video gamers. Why buy a Japan10 year old performance car"

i can sum it all up in one short sentence.........which you could send him

" its called free will and difference of opinion buddy, aint life an untidy ***** sometimes?"

·
Registered
577 Posts
Looks like somebody didn't graduate too;

''I am always surprized people would want a 1980's era turbo 4 wheel drive car''

''Why buy a Japan10 year old performance car''

Maybe it's because that 1980's era car swept everything before it when it came out, and is still a fantastic car to drive. My brother in law commented on how he was surprised with how nice the (standard) interior was.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time with the guy, just ignore him maybe he'll shrivel up and die.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
hes american,which explains the blinkered view (not labeling all americans here)

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
"hes american........"

pmsl....fair point ...the sklyline was built for corners ....so thats them confused right outta the box.

·
T3cH Junk13
1,845 Posts
Just about all the importers who dabbled in those cars are out of business partially because the stock of good wrecked cars is exhausted and heavy fines and EPA probably killed MOTOREX.
That's just because Motorex were rebadging untested R32 and R33 GTSTs to R33 GTRs, it's their own fault. There are more Registered Importers around who will import R33s and legalise them for around $18-$30k if you care to look about properly.

I have driven race cars with exterior lighting just barely street legal. ANd when I jump into a skyline with big turbo(s) I feel almost the same except for interior and miniumal sound deading. Hype has made the skyline more car than it actually was.
Sound deadening inside of a car is a feature, you don't want to sound like your head is directly next to a roaring engine. I take it you did try it with the windows down because those turbo's spinning up sound absolutely stunning. I'll post you some sound recordings if you want??

All wheel drive parts are Skyline only. Federal emissions? and there is no USA back up for service / parts.
That's what imports are all about. There are plenty of performance stockists for new parts for Skylines in the USA, you have obviously not owned one so haven't gone scouting about for parts. Saying that, you also wouldn't be replacing old parts with "exhausted and scrap" parts like you posted above, that would be dumb!

And heres the other thing Games have played up the image of the car: people always want something rare and fast.One more thing Japan Skylines are getting old. American 350Z. 2003 are getting cheep. And don't look old getting companys money to go drifting.

X-Box generation how rare the Skyline GTR's actually are given how many were already wrecked there are so few cars that can be imported and Smogged and DOT. I keep telling that the 350Z is the best bang for your USA dollars.
Skyline's are so old fashioned and getting older every year.I am always surprized people would want a 1980's era turbo 4 wheel drive car.What is it with all the Skyline people? Must be video gamers. Why buy a Japan10 year old performance car,
Hang on, I just gotta get back up off the floor from the laughter.... Right, that's better. Skylines are hardly rare. They're all over the place. Just take a look at www.skylineowners.com and then click on the Google Earth link to where the owners are, that's mainly just the UK ones! The USA is a tad bigger! R33 and R34 Skylines are not old, they're sub 12 years! The 350Z is a nice car, don't get me wrong, but it's still expensive in comparison and doesn't look any where near as cool when going side ways! The 350Z is also having it's 5th birthday I believe, so that's putting on age as well hence the price will be coming down. But riddle me this, what looks better, a 350Z or a Skyline because I know full well that Skylines are still winning awards and trophies at events around the globe!

----
That sound ok?

·
North Wales Area Rep
370 Posts
If you read up on some history of the skyline,it was devastating everything that it raced and they changed the rules of some motorsport just to ban them. Personally think that's a darn good reason to own one myself

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
that dude (considering the grammar in his answer we should maybe say lil kid ?) prefers cars under 10 years old but seems to be unaware of the R34 being produced up till 2002
and then the usual moaning about smogtest, DOT, importing and parts availability
350Z (parts) are readily available in the US without any hassle hence the statement best bang for the us$
these are USA probes, not a reason to hate skylines or say they are shite
not worth the effort of emailing him, he's just pissed nissan didnt import skylines into his country and his government is making DIY import a pain in the arse

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
only joking but....

The skyline was definately not 80's technology when it came out. It was far superior to the majority of the cars back then and is still kicking strong now. Oh.. we do have corners in America. :)
yeah im sure ya got plenty corners bud, but nuthing to drive round em properly thats my point ............

haveing said that im only poking a bit of fun, its horses for courses and if someone droped a nice shiny plymouth gtx in my lap i wouldnt say no............

american cars aint all bad .. just different ........and since were on the subject ...waht is the straction of autos out there? every car modder from barry white and boyd coddington down seems to want a bowler three speed .....why?

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
In a way, and probably because I am went to school in America also, I have to agree with some of his view.

In USA, especially the LA, California (where I studied)... if you can figure out what car you are looking at, it isn't modded enough. You may think it is stupid, but it is true. I have seen a 2 door Honda Accord that I thought was a skyline because it it look so like it... Don't even ask how much money was spend on it!!!

If you want to be different, a Skyline is a car that you will not see. However, it is very costly to have one imported and maintained, and also you won't get much action out of it unless you are on a drag strip. On the motorway (Freeway), if you are not stuck in traffic you are driving at 65mph, and everyone drive 65mph because there are loads of cops that comes on and off the freeway. We haven't even mention the hassle from the cops and the random smog (emission) check if the cop feels like it. Cops can pull you over because he think your exhaust is too loud, no testing needed... Just because he feel like it. A skyline will be like a neon sign asking for attention!!!

If I am still in America, I would have to say best bang for buck is still the Supra. A 350Z is a nice all around car if that is your only car, and you want something that is fast but reliable that you can drive everyday. But if you are looking for brute power, then I will still take a Supra over a GTR if I am in America because it is much more value for money.

Lucky I am now in the UK and I went for a GTR right away. 4WD and Big Power Turbo are ALWAYS going to be a great combo, no doubt about it!!! :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
yeah im sure ya got plenty corners bud, but nuthing to drive round em properly thats my point ............

haveing said that im only poking a bit of fun, its horses for courses and if someone droped a nice shiny plymouth gtx in my lap i wouldnt say no............

american cars aint all bad .. just different ........and since were on the subject ...waht is the straction of autos out there? every car modder from barry white and boyd coddington down seems to want a bowler three speed .....why?
Sorry for the slow reply, I have to attend school for my new career during the week. Only get to log in on the weekends. Bummer. I have thick skin, so I dont take offense to much of anything.:rofl: I have no idea of what half of the things you said in the last paragraph mean. I apologize for my ignorance,:sorry: I prefer Japanese cars myself actually. What is a bowler three speed?

Todd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts