Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am about to take on a Nissan Skyline on Sat on the log book it is registered as a 2.5 GTST Manual, but the engine actually fitted is the RB20DET Auto and it looks like this is the original one fitted. When i phone up or go online to get insurance qoutes it always lists GTS 2.5 turbo man or gtr 2.6 twin turbo man but not a 2.0 auto? when i call and advise it is the 2.0 turbo auto nobody will insure it. what do i do? the best option i have found so far is to insure with direct line as 2.5 turbo and they are happy to put in additional comments on insurance saying they are aware it is an automatic.

This is starting to annoy me loads now and not sure the best way about it. I figure i could always pull out the 2.0 auto and get 2.5 man fitted to keep it right but the money is not available to do this anytime soon.

Any suggestions?

PS i am 29 with full no claims and qouted £520 fully comp. without alarm immob or tracker. Not bad i think but when i pick up car i will prob test it :) for a week or so then get cat 1 alarm/immob fitted which insurance will drop to £400.

I assume this is a good price for a group 20.

Any help mappreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to A-plan today and they could not qoute for the 2.0 gtst auto originally but when they went away and looked they could not come anywhere near the £520 direct line have qouted me and thats with 12 years NCB and 29 with 1 SP30 last Aug 3 pnts £60 fine.

Reckoned they were going to be over a grand.

Car has no alarm imob or tracker fitted which is what they said was the prob.

Maybe they just dont like us scots. lol

Taxi insurance on my mondy with them is no prob though.

Oh well will try again next year i guess.

Direct Line seem to do pretty reasonable qoutes for this type of car which really suprised me TBH as they are much more when it came to a bog standard run of the mill car.

Worth a shot if your looking for cover.

·
Registered
299 Posts
hi mate i was with directline a while back when i had my r33 gtst, they do require proof of a tracker to be fitted with certification. This can set you back a few hundred pounds. I had to put in a claim when someone reversed into my car while it was parked and it took ages for them to get it sorted out and the customer service was really bad, maybe it has changed now. I am with sky insurance at the moment and DO NOT go to them!!!! i will be getting a policy through Dan when renewal comes in April :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi mate i was with directline a while back when i had my r33 gtst, they do require proof of a tracker to be fitted with certification. This can set you back a few hundred pounds. I had to put in a claim when someone reversed into my car while it was parked and it took ages for them to get it sorted out and the customer service was really bad, maybe it has changed now. I am with sky insurance at the moment and DO NOT go to them!!!! i will be getting a policy through Dan when renewal comes in April :)
Hey yeah they explained the deal about this before i took out the policy, basically they are covering me but not for theft of the vehichle until i have either cat1 alarm and immob or a tracker fitted. other than that they are covering for accident windscreen etc etc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Kb277,

though I am not very firm regarding UK-insurances but with German insurances it is a bit troublesome as with RHD. The insurance have to pull up a vehicle to compare with, using a similar car within the car make regarding engine size.

RB20DE-RB25DE = Nissan 200 SX S 12 or S13 (age)
RB25DET = Nissan SX 200 S14
RB26DETT = Nissan 350Z

Have You checked how Your insurance fees will be if compared with a 200 SX S12 as with Your R32 this is what most German insurances would do.

Good Luck, blackjack64

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.