Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my first post on this board, hope many more to follow.

I need to change my headlights on my R33 (4dr) 1997 Model, and have aquired a pair from an R33 2dr 1995 Model I beleive. The headlights themselves have the same design from the front, but the ones I currently have on the car have a single headlight bulb, while the new ones have 2 bulbs for headlights, similar to that of the S14 Silvia.

Here is how the headlights on my car are now:

and here are the lights I want to put on:

My problem is, that I can't get the new lights to fit in. There is a metal bar blocking them from going in, I guess because the car itself was designed for the lights it has currently. Is there anything specific I could/ should do to get these lights to fit? The bolt pattern seems to be the same on both lights, and I am certain I can get all the wiring worked out to work with the new lights, the prob is just getting them in properly.

Any ideas guys?

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
afaik the headlights of a 2door and 4door are interchangeable, and you can recognize them because the 2door lights have black internals and the 4door lights are chrome inside.
but the lights of a 33 gts spec 1 (1993 - 1995) are different from a spec 2 gts (1996 - 1997 or 1998 dunno)

in your case you seem to have a spec 2 car and want to fit spec 1 headlights, this can anly be done if you change the surrounding parts aswell like fe the hood

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if the 2dr model it came from was a spec 1 or spec 2, ill try find out today for sure, but the light shape themselves look identical, except for the back of them, which is slightly different on the 2dr version. The 2dr version has a double bulb fitment, and the actual frame of the car is blocking this from fitting flush. I was wondering if I were to cut that peice of frame off, if the headlight would fit properly. The reason why I would like to know before hand, is because I have taken these lights to try, to see if they would fit, and then pay after, but havent been able to try properly with my bonnet closed because it recently received a knock, and is slightly bent, I havent taken it off to send to the body shop yet.

I just took a pic with my phone a while ago to show you the bar I was talking about, here it is:

·
Salad Dodger
2,345 Posts
Your not going to get those lights in there, not only are you trying to fit Spec 1 lights into a Spec 2 car you are replacing single reflector lights with seperate reflector lights.

Not going to work mate, unless you replace / cut / bodge a fair few things.

If you were you, I'd get some more Spec 2 lights single or seperate reflector, then you may be able to push them in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spoke to the guy I got the lights from, and he said that the lights came off of a nose cut from a 1997 model skyline (his R33 needed to change the lights and bumper ) , and he still has the front frame of it, so maybe I could just change that.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
head lights and stuff.

hi mate maybe i can help out here

you have as other have stated some new two unit head lights ..and want to replace the original lights. As the other have stated this cant be done with your curent combination of lights and the font of the car. you have two options

change the front of the car
or
change the lights for an other set

as for changing the front of the car that whole front end is bolted and stitch welded tothe side and the chassis front bar . i recently had a bent one replaced and mates rates were £275 for the welding costs alone and £100 for the replacement panel if you can find one.

replaceing the lights is by far the easiest and cheapest option as you can pick up a set for £250 and fit em yourself.

if you do gimme a call as i need youre old lights for my rebuild.

ill pm you too
hope this helps
si

·
Censored
7,453 Posts
replaceing the lights is by far the easiest and cheapest option as you can pick up a set for £250 and fit em yourself.
not quite. Spec 2 lights normally command more money than that, and that is when they are available, which isnt very often. Furthermore, he has single reflector units, which will make the chances of him getting direct replacement virtually nil as they are very rare.

You can make the spec 1 lights fit, but you will need to change the bonnet, and probably the bumper if you want a good fit (spec1 lights come out slightly futher.). Either way, you'll probably have to convert to the twin light setup as finding any single ones will be a tough job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not quite. Spec 2 lights normally command more money than that, and that is when they are available, which isnt very often. Furthermore, he has single reflector units, which will make the chances of him getting direct replacement virtually nil as they are very rare.

You can make the spec 1 lights fit, but you will need to change the bonnet, and probably the bumper if you want a good fit (spec1 lights come out slightly futher.). Either way, you'll probably have to convert to the twin light setup as finding any single ones will be a tough job.
Well so far this is what I have noticed, and am having a hard time finding the single reflector light.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys.

I am having a hard time finding the bonnet to go with the lights and grill which I got. Do you know of anywhere I can order one from? If not, do you know where I can get a grill for a spec2 R33 at a decent price?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi

We have one pair of these in stock in Japan.

They tend to go quite quickly but at the moment they are still available if u need them. They are £265 a pair, including UK mainland delivery. Delivery takes a couple of weeks.

PM me if u want 'em

Ta
Dave

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
pm sent ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts