Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , i was wodering what the hell 'Yaw rate' is i've heard of it but can't seem to remember what it is .:eek:

·
Registered
101 Posts
As far as my memory serves it is a measure or angular rotation i.e. degrees per second.

How fast you are turning, in English, i think.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm... The YAW RATE I know of is on aeroplanes.

Its the measure of rotation around the vertical axis in degrees per second or whatever.

Basically, on a car I reckon its the same. Vertical axis being if you stuck a steel pole stright down thru the cars centre of gravity and impaled it, then yaw would be rotation around this pole, left or right.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTR

So it's not anything to do with the amount of turn in the rear wheel's then:rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have no idea, but if I was designing a 4 wheel steering car I would measure the yaw rate to decide how much the rear wheels should turn.

To stop them turning as much when you are going fast, kind of makes sense.

Turning the rear wheels in the oposite direction to the front wheels would increase the yaw rate as you can turn quicker, turning them the same direction as the front would reduce or remove any yaw rate, dead handy for changing lanes on the motorway.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
As Jock says thinking in aircraft terms Yaw is controlled by the rudder and is generally known in car terms as getting the arse out.

B

·
0 Posts
which i gues is why the EVO's have active yaw control to stop the rear end slidin

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Yup. Wheelnut hit the nail quite squarely really. Its all about rate of change of direction of the longitudinal axis (way the car is pointing/travelling) around the vertical axis (that metal pole I was on about) centred on the centre of gravity. Or, if its easier, the middle of the car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTR

It's all just a touch of Magic really , thankgod for those Mad scientist's :) :D :p

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Jock we are having a back to school moment here with Yaw, Pitch and Roll mate. Explains why I choose a seat at the root of the wings when I fly.

·
Member No 48
1,192 Posts
Yea, But the tail end is the safest place.
Planes never fly into mountains backwards!
Second bonus is the 'black box' is usually located in the arse end so you stand a good chance of being found if the plane crashes.Heh Heh!!!!

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
floyd said:
the 'black box' is usually located in the arse end so you stand a good chance of being found if the plane crashes.Heh Heh!!!!
Well, bit's of you do! I've been to several crashes (mainly harrier but I caught the cessna/tornado one :( ) and it's never a pretty sight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts