Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into an RC shop today with my son just to have alook... And something was behind the counter that struck me.

Sooooo, I asked him about it and he said that its up for sale... I got a few catalogues to have a browse and it looks like a FASTRAX with fasttrax uprated parts..

He said its all uprated, (dunno if that was just his spiel) but it looked fab.

Its petrol, Carbon etc... And he said it cost him over £700 to build and does over 70mph. Hmm...

So tomorrow, im going back for a play. and see if its worth the £200 he asking for it.... im also going to tell him to chuckin a shell and some wheels etc if i end up wanting it, lol....

So what you guys think of petrol cars?:dogpile:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
although they are fun,the big petrol ones are serious money to repair of you have an "incident",the cheaper engines can be a bugger to keep running smoothly too but if its got a zenoah engine it should be ok .sparkplugs dont last that long(in comparison to a real car) because of the 2 stroke mix i think

have a look around to see what spares cost,if suspension arms and driveshafts arent too expensive thats a plus,those are the bits you will break most often

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think there ace you can do everything to them
i know someone with a slingshot dragster car built himself from a kit its running nos and a little tiny supercharger looks savage and goes like stink
but i prefer my savage as off road cars are more fun
reliable and if you roll it just flip it back over restart it and away you go

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
electric is easy and the cleanest,no fuel or oily smelly crap and starter packs to carry around,you just need a charger and if you are looking at midrange and up with a brushless motor they are just as fast as the nitro equivalent.electric is the easy choice as the fuel powered ones need careful engine tuning and aftercare.
that said nitro is immense fun,the engines rev like f1 cars and much higher so the noise is a big part of the fun,it does limit where you can run it so i would only go for nitro/petrol for off road duties.
petrol powered stuff is 1.8 at its smallest,if you rip a whole corner off a little 1.10 scale nitro it might cost 30 or so to fix,you rip a corner off a big petrol beast and it could cost hundreds of pounds to fix(whack a top flight marder petrol and it could be 500+(ally and steel construction,hydraulic brakes),that has always put me off

all types have their pros and cons

my drifter is electric so i can run anywhere(sneaky tescos dori confuses the crap out of people lol) and my off road truck is also 1.10th scale and runs on nitro

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anypics of your drifter...?
I did think petrol was going to be high maintenance, But not that pricey, lol..

So you think id be better off with a drifter tt01?

Got to admit you can make them look themutts nuts....

:drool:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
tt01 rocks,i had mine over a year and it got bashed to hell,i never managed to break it though,cheap and easy to find parts for
unfortunatly i made the mistake of thinking i would build a modded car cheap,i then spent over 300 building a carbon and ally chassis ta03 lol

dont flame me for the front offset fail ocd fans,i lost my spacers!!

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
mate i have a nitro car and i have spent easily 4-500 quid on just uprating bits lol the engine alone cost me 120 quid, but its mated to a 2 speed g/box and adjustable coilovers, tuned noisy exhaust as well lol and a few other bits i forget but it is a pain to keep it going as i burn out the brake discs every time i use the car:( so hasnt been out for a year or 2 :( but when it is out and working the fun i have is amazing :)

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
if you burn out the discs like that the brakes arent setup right mate
thats what i thought mate but even if i unadjust them so i have very little brakes they still do it :( only shop that i can take it to is 47 miles away and isnt open when im off :(

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think ill give the petrol one a miss then.. and get one of the drifters...

Which are the better ones though??

The yokomo,or tamiya as they both seem to drift real well.???:cheers:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts